Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What Shot Do You Use?

A

Admin

Anthony and I are gonna go shotgun this year and I suspect we'll just use standard 6 shot for my Winchester Long Tom single shot. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

TLH

PS, what year was 2 x 4's legal?

The past few years I have used #5's in my 870 SP but I bought a new choke tube this year and have yet to get it patterned, also have had good patterns with federal #4's

I have used 4,5, & 6's. I have settled on 5's. Like bowhunting, everything works good on a good shot opportunity. Good Luck to everyone.

I too use 3" #5's with 2 oz. of shot. Seems to pattern best with my gun anyway. By the way, I think the "duplex" loads (2x6 was my favorite) were last legal in about 1990 or so.

Anyone had any luck bowhunting these critters? I tried it a couple of years ago, but could never get the bow back before hearing the dreaded "putt, putt, putt" sound. Good Hunting!

Anthony and I went bow last year, we used a blind and each had a shot but didn't connect.I could go bow every year but he want's to "get one" so we will use shotguns this year.

Have fun!

TLH

I have read that it takes 7 ft. pounds to kill a turkey and after 35 yards using number 6 shot you are risking the lack of energy. The article that I was reading suggested that you try and use #5 for 35-45 yards and #4's if you shoot anything further than that, and the article stated that it is very important to pattern your shotgun with each size to make sure of no hole in the pattern at those distances. I like to us #5 in 3 inch shell using the new Winchester Supreme.

later
Doug

I am going to pattern #4, and #5 tomorrow, 3 inch 2oz. I bought a turkey choke so I am interested to see what kind of a pattern I get.

I use Remington Premier Magnum turkey loads in the 3 1/2 inch 4 shot with 2 1/4oz. shot. when shot out of my Mossberg 835 ultimag with a .70 turkey choke you can really reach out and touch someone. I have found #6 to be to risky. You can be surpised what a turkey can take and still fly away. It's better to have and not need, then to need and not have. For the people who want to know yes it does kick but it is only one shot and you don't even notice it in all the excitement. Was thinking about trying a red dot scope what does anyone think about them?

when I use a shotgun, I use 5 shot. that patterened the best out of my dad's 2-7/8 1100. I think if I was shooting a 3-1/2" I would be picking myself off of the ground after every shot.
Jack

I've shot 4s, 5s, and 6s, and have finally settled on No. 5s in a 3" magnum shell.

Sometime look at the pellet count difference between a shell loaded with No. 4s and an identical one loaded with No. 5s. For getting three or more pellets in the vital areas of a turkey with a 35 yards shot, there's a big difference between 4s and 5s. If you don't believe me, pattern it out yourself sometime. Doing that is what really sold me on using No. 5s.

I have used several shot sizes in the past and have harvested my birds with 1 7/8 oz of #6's in 3 inch Winchesters, 1 3/4 oz of #5's in 3 inch HV Winchesters and I now use 1 3/4 oz #6's in 3 inch HV Winchesters. I shoot a Mossberg with a Hastings .665 choke and the HV #6's pattern beautiful out to 35 yards.
Never underestimate a High Velocity load of #6's. They will get the job done with a nice, tight choke like the .665. I missed a bird last year that was within 15 yards (shaking from fatigue and excitement! Add that to an extremely tight pattern.....and I missed!) but stood up, chucked another round in and shot again when the bird was running away at 49 steps. The HV load of #6's plastered his head and neck and he went down without a flop.
I use a red dot and love it.
Also remember....the tighter the choke.....the smaller the shot size should be if you want a nicer pattern. I have shot dozens of different rounds with different chokes and this has always been the case.

TLH,
You might want to take a look at the Remington HEVI shot loads, if they are legal. I'm guessing that the long tom is a 3" gun, and the HEVI shot loads come in 4,5,6.
Personally I like the 5s with my gun, but you need to find what works for your gun. Check out the specs for these loads at HEVI Shot or Remington.
smile.gif

I shoot winchester 3 inch 5 shot supremes out of an 870 remington with the factory modified choke. I have killed every bird I ever wanted to. Just wait for a good shot or and you will have no problems. I get crap from buddies for shooting the choke I shoot but it works for me. The secret is just wait a little longer for a closer shot and it works everytime.

Top Bottom