Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to do with too much data?

ArcheryIA44

PMA Member
Okay, I'm a scientist by training (read...big nerd), and what do nerds to with data? Analyze! (skip to the next thread if you are easily bored)

This year was my first learning the place. I didn't get the small food plot planted until Aug. 8. It came in pretty spotty (low rainfall), but had lots of action. Our place is heavy timber with crop fields about 1/2 to 1 mile away, north and south. A couple of neighbors have good food plots in the timber.

I ended up with two cameras on the food plot, which probably covers about 1/3 of the deer traffic in the plot. I also had one camera in a transition area at the base of a heavy cedar stand and another on a trail that runs north-south through the property.

First thing I learned? If you want to shoot a mature buck in October, stick with the food plot.

I cataloged only bucks that looked to be at least 3 years old and only during legal shooting hours, from the week before archery season started until this weekend. It was nice to see that there are big bucks running around at night, but it doesn't help me shoot them.

From Sept. 25 to Oct. 15, there were ZERO pictures from the trail or the transition zone during shooting hours. None! In the same time period, there were 14 mature bucks in the food plot...sadly, I wasn't there.

Things started to change on the Oct. 15 date. From the 15th through Halloween, there were seven pictures of nice bucks in the food plot, but there were eight coming out of the cedars and three on the north-south trail.

How about that rut? Nov. 1 to Nov. 15, eight bucks in the food plot, six near the cedars and seven on the north-south trail.

End of November...eight in the food plot, two cedars, four on the trail.

Conclusions (these will be nothing old hands on here don't know)? Hunt the food plot if you can, but during the rut any stand with the right wind can get good action. Keep in mind that my small food plot has become kind of a center of action after the food grew, so I think that much of the action is not feeding, but just cruising through looking for does.

Also, the cedars make a great bedding area, but basically 90% of my property is bedding area; I find deer beds everywhere. Also, although I like my camera locations, there are deer trails everywhere through the woods. Lots more camera locations to try out (hmmm, will my wife get me another camera for Christmas :way:?)

It was a fun season. Saw three shooters while hunting and let loose one arrow on a big non-typical. Didn't get the range right :(.

Never stop learning!

Reflection is key, it will only help you! Remember, don't be afraid to set up cams over scrapes, or make mock scrapes or bury a rubbing tree/licking branch next to your plot to attract bucks to a specific camera location. Also, consider baiting over your camera with shelled corn as well. You already know the deer are using the plot to feed, the corn simply draws them for a picture and to inventory your deer. Obviously, you would want to do that before the season or make sure all of the corn is gone before you hunt the stand.

Awesome data. I'd love to hear more results on this. I.E add another plot and check movement.

Have you cross sectioned the movement by wind direction on those days yet? If not, I'll bet you find certain deer moving in certain winds.

What time of the day did the movement occur most?

I'm sure your scraping activity mirrored the increased movement..

Have you plotted the deer sightings along an X-Y
axis? This may help validate your findings and support your hypothesis of your food plot attracting and holding deer.

Nice story. For future reference, pics never hurt! Thanks for posting

skyleralan: Roger that. We have gotten some picts over corn, but of course we stopped doing that long before the season started. I did set up a willow to try and get them to rub/lick, but they decided instead to use a tree branch that I had broken while cultivating. Go figure.

Hoosierhunter: I have lots of plans for micro-plots, but it is unbelievable how much time it took me to get the one plot up to snuff (and it was already mostly cleared). Winter is coming and time to clear more trees.

Do you know of an app or site where you can get historic wind direction for that last couple of months? I really like your idea. Maybe I can get that from the paper... In the food plot, 9 out of 14 pictures were in the evening through Oct. 15; 6 out of 9 were evening from Oct. 16-31; from Nov. 1-15, 5 of 8 were in the evening.

In the transition and trail areas, it was pretty mixed. Late Oct, both morning and evening, then through Nov. it was all times of the day.

iabwhntr: I started your graphing exercise, but I need to change my parameters because I started with time of day, and that doesn't work correctly because of the changes in the setting sun. When I get some more time, I'll try.

Pictures? I have to sift through 6000 :). Here are a few...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

forum

For the graph instead of time use parameters such as last 1 hr of light, within 1 hr of light, etc...

It's amazing how much information is gathered from using multiple cameras.

Never really thought about using the pictures for data until I read this. So, I decided to go back through the scrape cam set up pictures and record the amount of bucks for everyday, If a buck showed up more than once it still only counted as 1. Since I didn't get the camera out for a lot of the season last year due to college I don't have much to go by other than this year. So far the most activity occurred between Nov. 6th and Nov. 14th.

You can really become a mad scientist with this stuff. My main chasing activity didn't start until around Nov 11th with a absolute ton of activity the weekend before thanksgiving. It's been the best rut I've seen in probably 8 years. I encountered every mature buck I knew on stand with the exception of one who I found dead.

You can really become a mad scientist with this stuff. My main chasing activity didn't start until around Nov 11th with a absolute ton of activity the weekend before thanksgiving. It's been the best rut I've seen in probably 8 years. I encountered every mature buck I knew on stand with the exception of one who I found dead.

I'm curious, how did you track this or what did you use for your data?

Yeah, my wife already thinks I'm too obsessed with hunting! And too analytical about everything! I should start making charts/spreadsheets of my deer pics!

Top Bottom