Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to do

turtlshell

PMA Member
I planted a two acre piece into a pheasants forever mixed sorghum plot this year. It's held up really well as winter cover.

My question is what do I do with it this spring?

I had thought about just leaving it alone for another year to see what happens. If I do leave it, I might mow and lightly disc half of it as an experiment to observe the differences between the two.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I have a very limited budget and rely on neighbors for actual field work as I have no implements...so RR Corn and nuking it, is not an option.

I planted that same stuff from PF two summers ago... I never did till it up again but by the end of the first winter, there wasn't a seed left from all the songbirds and pheasants and what not in about 2 acres of it.. by the time spring came around, it all got matted down from the rain.. so I wouldn't suggest leaving it up for another yr.. maybe burn it off if you can or disc it in and re plant over it

Well, two weeks ago I paid a visit to this plot, and as Airassault said, there wasn't a single seed left and it had all fell down and is in the process of matting.

I think I'll have it all disced up again and replant it in the same. I couldn't find a single seed, so I hope some form of wildlife got the goodie out of our efforts.

Top Bottom