Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to do???

Daver

PMA Member
I have a small, 1 acre field that is enrolled in the CRP program that lies right next to the gravel road. It is roughly triangular in shape, with one side being the road, and the other two sides are semi-steep ditches that are wooded/brushy.

There is a field entrance into this field from the road that I sometimes use to access a stand on that end of the farm. The field is in brome now and I just shaved the volunteer cedars and oaks out of it, again, this past weekend, so it is as "clear" as it has ever been.

About half of it is not level ground, so I need to be careful with what I do with it so it doesn't develop ruts...which happen fast in the clay soils of southern Iowa. As it stands right now there is very little wildlife value offered by this field.

Quail use the bordering ditches, deer frequent the ditches too, but normally "baldies", I assume since it is so close to the road. I would like to improve the habitat in this field, BUT, I don't want to draw deer right to the road with a food source or preferred bedding, and I think the slopes in the field lead me away from planting milo or something like that.

I am looking for ideas on what can be done to help this field. Any ideas?? My current thought is to seed it to wildflowers.

First u need to check with NRCS office to see what your options are. I'd put it in switch if it is in the right crp program

Sounds like a great spot for some pollinator habitat. And add some wildflowers to the mix of your choice. You might be able to get cost share for sure. Your quail will love it and the bee's could use a little help too!

Sounds like a great spot for some pollinator habitat. And add some wildflowers to the mix of your choice. You might be able to get cost share for sure. Your quail will love it and the bee's could use a little help too!

That is how I use "waste" areas too. Look into really tall native wildflowers like maximillian sunflower and showy sunflower. They can get 7+ feet tall and have really thick/heavy stalks that should stand very well in winter.

Not only that, but deer eat the foliage, bees galore pollinate the flowers and there are many seeds for wildlife too. Hard to shoot anything from the road in 7' tall vegetation. I lost track on the bee species that use my annual and perennial sunflowers at the house. It is several I know that much. Best part about the perennials is they are rhizomatous. Spreading like wildfire in my yard as we speak. :D

maximilliansunweb.jpg

The other option that sounds appealing is 1-2' tall wildflowers.

When is your mid contract management due?

I really like the spray and interested option but adding legumes there will surely draw deer closer to the road. I would mow later this summer and spray regrowth in the fall to encourage broadleaf weeds and early succession. Upgrading to pollinator or tall natives/forbs a would be ideal but you won't get much help until your contract is up and you can change the crp practice to a cp25 or cp42.

Top Bottom