Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to kill CRP grass with?

TallTines

What should I kill crp grass w/. Just roundup?

I want to kill some switchgrass crp around some field edges that act as a buffer to put food plots in. I am planting some clover in some and brassicas in others.

Also it is kind of tall in spots and I am afraid some of the roundup or whatever won't get down close enough to the ground to kill it there.

Should I mow it first then spray or spray and then mow?

Thanks

Definitely will work scenario...

Mow it relatively short, leave it be for 1-2 weeks so it begins to grow back.

Then hit it with R-up. You will be targeting fresh, green growth.

Best case scenario...

Wait another week for the kill to set in and then disk it up. Let things grow back, hard telling what will surface, and then repeat the steps above.

This will kill the CRP cover crop and then also get a good kill on the dormant seeds/plants that are also in the soil.

On switch grass you will want to run 64 oz to the acre round up or you will be wasting your money. Switch grass is the hardest grass to kill in summer and early fall.

I agree with both responses.Mow it low and let it start growing back and then hit it with a strong roundup mix.Strong.

Disc it and then hit what grows upand hopefully you will be good to go.
GOOD LUCK!!

I agree with the above. I put 1oz. to the gallon of Trimec (2,4-D with some other stuff) and I had much quicker burn down than with plain glyphosate.

The 'Bonker

Not a 100% for sure, but I'd check with the local NRCS office if it's even legal to do what you want.

Especially considering it's currently a buffer strip.

I'm assuming there's a stream or river near by...not exactly the best soils to be planting food plots in. Just my opinion.

If there is water near by, with a potential for run-off, use RODEO. It's a roundup that's safe for around aquatics.

You guys are a wealth of information.
bow.gif

Thanks for all the help. Now I just need to find a mower.
TT

Top Bottom