Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to plant on a hill side?

antlerfreak

Well as this is my first season for plots, it didnt go that great, only about half my plots are looking ok still. what grew in my bean plots is pretty much bare dirt at this point. One because there wasnt enough there to began with and the deer wiped it out, but only about 25% grew to began with. I talked to a couple guys and they said it being on a side hill was half the problem. THe other problem was this was 20 year old pasture ground that I just disked up. they said it should get better next year. Is any of this true? I should add I didnt put any fertilizer down either, but everyone told me you can grow beans in a parking lot, so not to worry about it. Is there anything I can do next year to help it out or is there something better to plant on side hills?

Soil test. soil test. soil test... then add lime and fert as suggested. Also planting soil buliding crops in the next few years will help.

Sounds like poor soil was the problem. Did you have the nasty drought conditions on top of that?

If errosion is going to be an issue with you constantly tilling this up every year it might be a good idea to strip crop the area. Put strips of a perennial crop in like white clover or alfalfa (if you can have someone bale it).

Soil test. soil test. soil test... then add lime and fert as suggested. Also planting soil buliding crops in the next few years will help.

Sounds like poor soil was the problem. Did you have the nasty drought conditions on top of that?

If errosion is going to be an issue with you constantly tilling this up every year it might be a good idea to strip crop the area. Put strips of a perennial crop in like white clover or alfalfa (if you can have someone bale it).

I would agree clover or alfalfa, must be mowed or baled

Im going to do the soil tests and fertilize as needed next year, I am thinking that was the biggest problem, just didnt want to throw away alot of $ in fertilizer if it wouldnt do anygood on a hill side. as far as errosion goes.... Im not to worried about it unless we had an unusual amount of rain. the hill sides arent that steep, just small and hilly, to much so for the farmer to use it as normal row crop land.

Top Bottom