Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to plant?

10hunter

PMA Member
I was able to go check on our food plots for the first time since the heavy rains last Friday which lead to flooding at our hunting farm. Looks like most of our clover will survive as water came up and down quickly but the brassicas and cereal grain mix didn't fair as well. All the little rye is toast so that decision is easy. Go back in and replant -- maybe seed a little heavier since it is later. Now the Brassicas are a tougher decision -- about half survived I am guessing in 3 of 5 fields -- other two are toast. I am considering going back in and putting on a little slow release urea on spots that look like they will make it but is it worth the effort to try and plant any more -- probably be another week before I could disk in rye if we don t get too much rain tonite and tomorrow. Could just throw some turnips on surface middle of week and hope for rain??? But forecast sure looks like may be wet one again...just pray no more flooding. What has been your experience with mid September turnips or radish? or just throw down rye-clover and call it a year.

I was able to go check on our food plots for the first time since the heavy rains last Friday which lead to flooding at our hunting farm. Looks like most of our clover will survive as water came up and down quickly but the brassicas and cereal grain mix didn't fair as well. All the little rye is toast so that decision is easy. Go back in and replant -- maybe seed a little heavier since it is later. Now the Brassicas are a tougher decision -- about half survived I am guessing in 3 of 5 fields -- other two are toast. I am considering going back in and putting on a little slow release urea on spots that look like they will make it but is it worth the effort to try and plant any more -- probably be another week before I could disk in rye if we don t get too much rain tonite and tomorrow. Could just throw some turnips on surface middle of week and hope for rain??? But forecast sure looks like may be wet one again...just pray no more flooding. What has been your experience with mid September turnips or radish? or just throw down rye-clover and call it a year.

I went with last option. Rye and clover. Can overseed rye and buy cheap!!

Top Bottom