Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to use for late season?

BOWSTRING

Just wondering what everyone uses for food plots if anything for the late non hunting months to help the deer get back to there fighting weight after the rut? Also to help the does while carrying fawns.
Janurary thru march probably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering what everyone uses for food plots if anything for the late non hunting months to help the deer get back to there fighting weight after the rut? Also to help the does while carrying fawns.
Janurary thru march probably. </div></div>

Just about anything left standing would work. I used to count on standing corn and soybeans but anymore I'm lucky to have anything left by October let alone January /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Alfalfa and field rye are the only to things that I can count on year after year to be there thru the winter.

Brassicas (turnips) will hold well into winter and deer will dig up the turnips when everything else is gone.

It depends somewhat on the pressure in your area, if you have high deer density it can be tough to have anything left.

Don't forget natural browse also, easy to create timber or edge openings to encourage that type of forage as well. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have good luck with the Alf-alfa as well as some clover for some reason. I usually pay the farmer to leave up XYZ amount of bushels of corn and beans (I personally see better results with beans in my experience) and pay him the going PER BUSHEL PRICE, if it wasn't my land, I'd pay him the per bushel price plus like $50 or something for small hassle. I can have a sweet plot of beans that last into january for $350 for example in my experience.
What you really need to do is find a super "lazy" farmer that doesn't get crops out til December/January! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom