Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What would you do?

Central Iowa

Life Member
Let's say you had a South facing hillside not in a program and not in production that was being turned into bedding habitat. What would you do? Tree plantings (what type of trees?), tall grass (what variety Cave In Rock, Big Blue,etc.?) or a combination of both trees and grass? Particulars = gentle slope about 5 acres in size.

A mix of CIR switch and cedars sounds inviting to me.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A mix of CIR switch and cedars sounds inviting to me.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! Warm sunshine, a soft bed of switch, and a Cedar over my head.
grin.gif

I'd put a "living snow fence" along the north side for a good barrier. This is accomplished by five rows of evergreens and shrubs...Starting on the North or West side (to work against the common winter winds N, NNW, NW, WNW) ususally split as 2 rows of white pine, or a spruce variety, followed by two shrub rows (crabapple, russian olive, or what ever shrub you prefer...please no honeysuckle) and the last row (the southern most) would be another pine or spruce. I've seen it split as 2pine, 1shrub, 1pine, 1shrub (N to S) also.

These rows should be about 8-10 feet a part and planted with 8-10 ft between the pines and 4-6 feet between the shrubs.

I would plant a mixture of grasses over the rest with some "random" pines, cedars, or spruces mixed through out. My grass mix would consist of Big Blue, Canda Wild Rye, and Side Oats Grama.

I would also consider a wildflower mixture as well...AND, I would establish the grasses and wildflowers first, and the living snow fence and intermingled trees second...so it would be at least a two year project.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you had a South facing hillside not in a program and not in production that was being turned into bedding habitat. What would you do? Tree plantings (what type of trees?), tall grass (what variety Cave In Rock, Big Blue,etc.?) or a combination of both trees and grass? Particulars = gentle slope about 5 acres in size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have a hillside almost exactly like that.

It already had good sized cedars scattered thru it so I figured I would add switchgrass to the openings.

They do bed there already since they can see danger and the southern exposure makes it even more attractive.

The only problem is that because of the mix...it's impossible to burn and very difficult to mow....so it's now turned into a "wildland" of blackberries, switch and brush. (not all bad of course but not as I intended)

Since you have the option of "pre-planning"...

I would plant red cedars on the upper part, use weed/grass control and space rows about 8-10 ft apart, alternating the cedars.

Then plant a clover/alfalfa strip for a fire break and plant the lower part of the hill to Cave In Rock Switchgrass.

If you try to plant spruces or shrubs you'll have to fence them all...or the bucks will thrash them to nubs.

CIR will remain standing or at least come back up after heavy snow/ice etc. better then any other WSG.

Paul, I think that sounds like a plan. Cedars and CIR. If things go right there should be alot more than the 5 acres in switch. Can't wait for the results! Withe the CIR I think I can keep my movement predictable to the food plots and the deer would not tend to browse on their way out in the evening hopefully being able to intercept them before the sun goes down.

Top Bottom