Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What would you have done different?

What would I do differently...hmmmm

Only obvious answer. Pulled the trigger on that nice 10 back in October...:thrwrck:

NWBuck

I was thinking about this very thing yesterday since I am now tagged out for the season. I didn't get a couple opportunities on my #1 target due to laziness. Laziness related to not paying enough attention to the network of trails in a thick bedding area. Twenty yards closer to an intersection of some trails creates two different shot opps on this buck. Laziness also related to not committing enough time to adequately trim out lanes in the same thick bedding area.

Secondly, timing. Once the lockdown period hit, I continued to hunt even harder and burned some precious available vacation time. Not saying it can't happen during that time but when most of the IW'ers were also noting a slowdown in visuals, I probably should have banked a little more time for the week leading up to and around Turkey Day. Nov. 24th was the best day in the tree for me as it related to seeing "cruising" bucks. Otherwise, during the rut the only bucks I saw over 1.5 yrs old were tending or pushing does and that's a real crap-shoot as it relates to getting off actual shot opps with a bow. Winke said it as he usually does in a pretty comprehendable way - if the rut/breeding season is a statistical bell curve, an archers best odds are on the front and back of the bell curve and not necessarily when the "peak" of the rut is taking place. This statement described my season to a "T". Best encounters and/or shot opps for me were up to Election Day and after Nov. 15-16th.

My $.02 worth.

Well, not to be "that guy" but I wish I would have hunted less on a weekend or two. My wife would have much more appreciated me in church with her...

Had a great season though...killed a great buck on video and came close videoing my buddy, to no avail. Can't wait for the late season though! :way:

Overall it was a good season and had some opportunities. Ya don't always have to shoot one for it to be fun.

Wish I would have practiced a little farther to be confident on a shot I didn't take.

I know I talked about some of this in my elk journal, but I should have spent more time hiking around learning more areas of my unit instead of relying on a couple of trail cameras. I also learned that when you have a bull screaming at you, move on him as quickly as you quietly can; don't walk 35 yards and then stop to listen for him again. Cut the distance!!!

I also learned that only having an elk tag in September sucks when it then becomes October, November, and December before you can hunt again (unless I can get back out with my archery tag deer tag in late December)!

I would hunt where there are more deer.

Exactly.. I just need to find out where that spot is.

I don't think I adjusted for the draught. The area I hunt is generally a swampy wetland and this year is bone dry. Nearest water is 1/4 mile away closer to the river. I didn't adjust for that and hunted too much history. The deer are still using that area, but not hanging out there or visiting much during the day.

Hunted too much on Hope that the deer on my camera's would come by in the day instead of finding out where they bed and moving in on them. I shall be fixing this for the remainder of the season..

No regrets really, ended up with a nice 8 point on the 10th but I think I took my vacation a few days too soon. Things didn't really start rocking in my areas until the 8th. Next year I'm taking the 8th - 15th off, whichever those days fall on.

I would of not put all my eggs into one basket. I had 5 stands in one Timber/Field. had good action on the first 4 days then i think the deer caught on to my bro and I. I was getting irritated hunting the same piece over and over knowing they were on to us so on Day 13 of 16 I went and asked permission on a pasture timber ive taken my last 2 of 3 bucks on. Already had my stands in there from last yr. It only took 5 mins to see a shooter from my stand! Made decision to do All Day sits and it payed off. Day 2 had 160 in 10 come in but buck fever messed that shot up! Clean miss. Day 3 i harvested an 155 gross 13pt typical that i had passed on on day3 of vaca only because i had a bigger 10 just outta range earlier that morn. So next yr im not gonna wait around to obtain permission on that piece of property and get some more areas to hunt so im not stuck in one area.

Although I let some nice bucks walk, I wouldn't change that. What I would change is, I would have waited before replacing my limbs on my bow until after the season. Scheels screwed them up but I am now getting a NEW bow for a small fee.

I would have held out for a bigger buck. After too many years hunting nocturnal over-pressured bucks on our Illinois public, I got deceived this year. :( I know better.

Taken my kids more in Sept....

they're not as keen on the idea anymore now that I've been carrying a doe tag into November and the - fahrenheit temps., it's been as cold as -17 F. I should have known better, November leaves little time to get them out, even less opportunity at a day where sitting is comfortable for them.

Last edited:
I shot a huge deer this year, and the experience was great! But if i could do it over i would have kept it more to myself for awhile. Within 24 hours i was being called a poacher by people i didn't even know and people circling my ground like there was going to be another 200" deer standing there. It kind of took away from the enjoyment. I just didn't realize how jealous people can get.

Top Bottom