Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What would you have done?

johng9662

Saturday evening I was out hunting and it was raining off and on. Sunset was at 4:57, nothing had been moving so I decided to go at 5:00. I was in a open field looking for a practice arrow that I had shot earlier when I heard something coming thru the woods about 30yrds up the hill. Out walk a huge buck. It's currently 5:10 so if still a little light out. I draw back and shoot right between the legs.(didn't factor in the up hill shot). The buck just stands there looking at me for what seemed like 5 - 10 minutes. He then puts his head down and starts walking right at me. No thats a freaky feeling to have a huge buck walk right at you. So as calmly as I can get my last broadhead arrow and when he's about 20 yrds away he turned to go around a bush so I take aim and hit him. Wasn't sure where, but was just a little happy that it was enough to get him going in the other direction. Since I had no more arrows and no knife, my next line of defense was going to be to throw my bow and head for the trees.
I then called a friend and when he got there it started to rain real hard. Because it was raining we started to look right away which probably caused more harm than good because we scared off a bunch of deer while looking and never did find any trace of blood. I went out on Sunday and did find my arrow which still had a little blood on it, looked all over the place but never found anything.
All I could say to my friend was I was glad they weren't looking for me out there.
I don't think I will be going in the rain anymore.
On another note while looking on Sunday I got into another staring contest with another buck on my way out. This time I just slowly walked on and he went on his way. Boy are they getting agressive.

i probably would've hollared at the deer rather than winging an arrow at him to make him run away. you should probably go look around for him some more, especially if you don't know where you hit him at.

First I would have taken ALL my practice shots at home and not where I hunt.
Then I would have sat until last light rather than blow the best 15 minutes of daylight.
Had I found myself in your situation I would have kept from taking a head on 30 yard shot. Waiting would have resulted in one of two things. A closer (easier) shot and a dead (recovered) deer or no shot due to the buck fleeing. The likely hood of being charged by it seem so remote to me I would consider it non existant.
Hey, you asked.
doah.gif

I told myself that I would stay out of this but I couldn't help it. It is very easy for us to say, while sitting at home on our computers, what we would have done. I know that nerves or sometimes, inexperience contribute to our decisions and we have all made poor ones in the past. The shot would have been best not taken based on your description. Your description made it sound as if you aimed, not knowing where, and let the arrow fly. This would be a poor descision and the outcome is the learning experience. If you concern is for safety and the possiblity of the buck charging. Just stand up, talk, and identify yourself as a human. I'll guarantee that he will be more afraid of you than you are of him. Based on the lack of replies to your thread I'm guessing that most would have passed the shot. I'm also guessing that we are all thinking over poor decisions that we have made over the years. Mistakes are fine as long as we learn from them!
waytogo.gif

I can empathize. I took a head on shot two weeks ago that also resulted in a futile search.
Painful experience, but I can tell that I'll not be taking another one of those again. I'd equate the feeling to my first fender bender when I was 16. It gets your attention.

Actually I had a pretty decent broadside shot because the deer had turned to go around a bush. I just could see where the arrow actually hit. I did find the arrow the next day so it was a pass thru shot.
I searched the whole area, but am limited because he could have went on an adjoining property that the owner doesn't allow anyone on. And if I understand the regulation you can only follow a deer if there is a visible blood trail.
I usually take a practice shot from my stand just to make sure something hadn't got bumped out of alignment on the way out. I have had that happen.

I just thought it was interesting that the deer came straight towards me.

If you were twenty yards from the buck and had a clear broadside shot, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking the shot. I'd have done it myself in a heartbeat. As far as the rain coming down after the shot, that's just bad luck, and that's why I don't like to hunt in hard rain.
As far as taking a practice shot in the stand, I think its a great idea and its one in which I do myself every time. Not only does it get the jitters out of your system, but like you said, its a way of verifying your bow's accuracy.
Like bowman said, its just one of those things you learn on your way to become a better bowhunter.
By the way, always stay in your stand until its dark!!
grin.gif

CRITR

None of us were there...if you took a bad shot then live and learn.

As far as taking a practice shot from the stand...I'm guessing it would be a small minority of hunters who do NOT do this. It's a great way to practice range estimation and shooting from an elevated position. I carry a fieldpoint arrow in my quiver just for this purpose (and the occasional squirrel
smile.gif
) I've even shot deer that had stopped to investigate the arrow out of curiousity. Good luck!

NWBuck

Boy I'm with you Scout I practice from an elevated stand at home in July and glue and mark my pins with a magic marker than I don't have to practice in the field. I'm also with you Scout with staying until way past dark unless you enjoy spooking deer in your hunting area. Also start carrying a knife with you I had to cut a CHEAP safety harness off my body once while hanging from a tree if I wouldn't have had that knife with me that night I might still be hanging in that tree.
It is interesting that the deer approached you the way it did but holler at it it will leave. If you don't think you can make that shot DON'T take the shot now you have a wounded deer in that area and you feel like crap and you tell that landowner the last blood you found was in his land's direction as long as you leave your bow on your side of the fence there is nothing he can do or say about it.

Well I will throw my two cents worth into the mix. I totally disagree with anyone who says it is a bad idea to take a practice shot out of your stand. I do not care how much you practice at home, the surroundings change and it is a great idea to become comfortable with any shot you might get out of your stand. I do agree with not taking a shot unless you feel it is a good shot, but why yell at a monster buck walking straight at you....let him keep coming and change his direction with a double lung shot. That would be awesome to take a monster from the ground. I doubt that there are too many people out there that have not taken a marginal shot at one time or another. Anyway that is enough, good luck to everyone and be safe.
beerchug.gif

If he's hit good, or gut shot,he will head downhill, and probably towards water.Walk the nearest creek, or low lying area.

My main point concerns the first 30 yard head on shot. Low odds. It seems it was taken to keep the deer from approaching. Bad logic in my book.
Hey, I've done things even worse. Good point, Learn and move on!

As for that practice shot from the tree.
That is a great POLL QUESTION!

Here is my logic or lack of understanding.....
I trust my equipment and treat it with care. If you don't trust it toss it out and get something better. If your sight moves from normal field use its junk. If anything abnormal has taken place you should have noticed. Then, if shooting a test shot makes you feel more confident take one. I'd suggest placing it on the path you walked in on.

We got through so much effort playing the wind. Approaching our stands. Sneaking in and out like ghosts. Spending so much time keeping scent free. Now why would you shoot an arrow that very likely has your scent on it into your circle of opprotunity? How do you get it back? By walking over to it?
As for shooting other little critters. What do you do when you hit it? (because you sight were on!) Go get it, gut it, then keep hunting? I had deer sniff the bottom of my climbing sticks and an arrow dropped from the tree without adverse results but walking around collecting arrows and squirrels is not for me.
shrug[1].gif

I actually did this until a coyote came by and spooked like all get-out from an arrow planted into the base of a little pokey bush 30 yards out. Had that arrow not been there I would have killed him in the next 5 yards.
I would be suprised if the majority of bowhunters shoot a practice shot from their set-up. (sans newbees)
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom