Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whate dates??

browninggold9

I was luky enough to draw a zone 9- bow tag. I'll have about 7-10 days to hunt. Taking the moon and past luck into consideration, what dates would you guys reccomend? I get knots in my gut just thinking about hunting Iowa!!!

Nov 3rd - 13th
smile.gif

How flexible is your supervisor at work and your supervisor at home? If it were me coming into the state I'd let them know exactly what's going on and in order to make your trip as fruitfull as possible you'll have to give them a little last minute notice. Periodically check into weather patterns, temperatures, wind directions, and get deer rut reports, all the details that will get you in the trees during the best time. Last year I ran into Limb Chicken while out and about and after a casual chat I ended up taking my vacation a week earlier than I had planned. Worked out pretty good as I think the best hunting was the last 4-5 days of October and the first 2-3 of November. I had a "Bingo" on the first.

411buck2006-med.JPG

All in all the last week of October through the first 2 weeks of November is what I have always considered "Primetime" and have had the best luck. GOOD LUCK!

Last year it seemed like I had my best hunts the last week of Oct. thru the firtst week of Nov. First five days of Nov. were HOT for me last year. I'll say Oct. 24th - Nov. 7th or Nov-14th if manageable
grin.gif

Where you hunting in zone 9? Public or Private? I'm in zone 9 (Allamakee). Good Luck you'll have a great hunt I'm sure.

Don't overlook Halloween. It falls on a Wednesday this year which is great for lower hunting pressure. Not sure what the pressure is like where you're going but here in MI, hunting during the week is the difference between having 10,000 hunters hunting and 1,000,000 hunting. I have had some of my best hunts on Halloween. One hunt that comes to mind is when I had 2 bucks (basket 8's) chasing 2-3 does around my stand. It looked like I had them tethered to my tree like a dog. For atleast 10 minutes they went around and around grunting, etc. I needed a clean pair of shorts after that hunt. haha

Top Bottom