Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's everyones favorite .22 rifle?

oBIGBUCKDOWNo

I have been shooting the same 1022 for 5 or 6 years, and its great for snail game hunting, but what is everyones range setup?

I have a 10/22 with a Nikon on top and it is a tack driver but I love my semi-auto browning rifle, open sights, for squirrel hunting.

Man, those good old days!!... I had a 1022 since I was maybe 10? I shot the piss out of it until maybe 16, I mean bricks & bricks of ammo. I don't think the trigger has been pulled since then- 16 more years. My little rascal can give it a whirl in 8 or 9 more years.

I have a Ruger 10/22 International Carbine I love, Springfield 87A that I like to mess around with, I also have a little youth Marlin Single Shot I started my oldest boy on. It is a cool little gun.

I like shooting the Ruger, thinking about giving it to my 15yr old.

i used to have an old browning level that was a real shooter but have no idea what happened to it, but now its definitely a tricked out 10/22 things a tack driver!

While in grad school, I picked up a bolt action, bull barrel .22 (LR, L, S) from a friend without really knowing what it was. I got it, researched it and its a 1950s Mossberg 144LS. Its an old military trainer with a Lyman peep sight. Talk about dead nuts accurate. I used it on a bullfrog removal project in SE AZ and was ripping the heads off of bullfrogs from 30 yards with those peep sights. Shortly after that, I picked up a Remington 597 because everyone else had Ruger 1022s. I put a Redfield 2-7x32 that came with my .300 WM and it is now a tack driver that has also helped rid the southwest of many bullfrogs!

My 1022 by far I have shot the crap out of it between coon hunting squirrel hunting and even a few coyote trips it has gotten used

oBIGBUCKDOWNo said:
I have been shooting the same 1022 for 5 or 6 years, and its great for snail game hunting, but what is everyones range setup?

Magnum research 22 lr blue finish with Nikon scope shoot anything 100 plus yrds

I have owned a Ruger 10/22 and it was a good firearm, however my all time favorite .22 rifle is a Remington 550-1, produced from 1946 to 1970.

remington22mod55011medi.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Remington .597 when I was about 12 or 13.. its the biggest POS rifle I've ever owned.. it jams about every magazine.. I've tried buying several different magazines and deep cleaning it.. I've read that many people have a lot of troubles with them.. it is very accurate but can hardly get a whole magazine through it without jamming.. a couple years ago, one of my best friends thought he got a good scope/gun combo deal at scheels on a .597 and he took it home.. first magazine he put through it, it jammed.. he took it back the next day and walked into scheels with it in a case and told a guy up front that he had a rifle to return and the guy said "let me guess, its a .597". They suck.. I've wished a million times I would have spent a little more and bought a 10/22

Liv4Rut said:
Ruger 10/22 here. I always wanted a nice lever action though for plinking around.

My old man has 22 mag lever gun I would love to have but he won't give it up.

Mobile Cooter using IW

1022's are great. I have one, maybe the best little plinkster ever made. But my favorite 22 is a Marlin 39A lever action. Just carrying it around makes ya feel like a man.

Top Bottom