Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's is your true goal in these season

1. Spend time with my boys.
2. Watch the deer use the food plots and habitat that we have worked so hard to create and develop.
3. Listen for the sounds of leaves crunching on a crisp November morning and upon hearing that...staring a hole in the forest floor trying to pick out the approaching animal.
4. Look down into the dark timber and at first see just the white tips of a big antler or only the breath of a big buck that is out on the prowl.
5. And I am in the mood to shoot a buck this year, maybe two, it all depends on which cull bucks show up first. :D

Nailed it! :D Did 'em all this year, but #1 was the most important.

1. I'm teaching a buddy of mine to bow hunt, so getting his first harvest is priority one.

2.Hopefully enjoy my own success on a mature buck.

3. Find a healthy alternative to the leftover Halloween candy that has become my official ration of all day rut hunts.

1. Completed. Friend of mine was able to arrow his first ever deer, a 2 1/2 yr 8pt. He got spoiled! 2nd time out, and the deer dropped after 20 yards.

2. Failed. Struggled to get only a few pics of mature bucks all season. Saw a bunch of great up and comers, though. The future looks bright.

3. Completed. Traded the candy for PB sandwiches, protein bars, and nuts.

Great thread BTW!

Thanks! except my awesome grammar for the title- definately didnt proof read that after typing it quickly on my phone

Haven't pulled my bow off the hanger for a deer in 2 years. I'd kinda like to do that this year.

Make that 3 years. However for the first time ever I seen a shooter that I have been getting on camera while in the stand. 80 yards away and wanted nothing to do with me. I also verified Keith Richards is still alive and even more reclusive this year.

First prune and spray all my fruit trees,,,,Get garden areas ready,,Cut all the thorns,Rose, and crap ,otta my deer travel routes,Frost seed some Clover,till up, by hand, my other spots,pray it rains enough,,finally get my stands ready and hope my neighbors left a buck live over 2 yrs old last season!

Fun thread! I didn't comment on it back in October, so just for the record I nailed each of my 25 goals. :D

I went into this season with one real goal in mind, and that turned into several goals throughout the season. My plan was to get back to the basics of hunting for myself, and making bowhunting fun again. In the past I've second guessed myself and focused on putting other people in prime areas instead of myself to only watch missed opportunities. This transformed into hunting smarter while not over sitting any properties if the wind wasn't right. I wasn't able to hunt all of October after being enrolled in WLC for the National Guard, but volunteered for that slot to test activity if my stands weren't touched during October. This paid off for me big time with numerous sightings on my new property including several shooters. I wasn't able to capitalize until mid November when I harvested a mature 9 pointer on a buddies farm on a spot and stalk no less after climbing out of the tree. During shotgun season I wanted to enjoy time spent with good friends, and attempt to harvest mature bucks. I was able to harvest 2 good bucks during that time along with the group getting a couple others. The whole season I intended to not harvest any does if possible, but took one mature doe during archery (the one that picks you out of any set you're sitting.) All in all the season was my personal best to date with 3 bucks harvested, and a better understanding of my new property. I look forward to continuing this into scouting by setting up antler traps and giving the deer plenty of supplements for antler growth this spring and summer. Hanging more sets that optimize opportunity for a clean harvest rather than sheer sightings and numbers at a distance. Focus on practice in the off season, and focus on pinch points for stand placement.

Top Bottom