Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's the latest you'll go into your stand?

Aschaul

What's the latest you'll walk into your stand in the afternoon? Say it gets dark at 5, what's the latest possible time you'd be getting to your stand?

I like to have 3 hours on stand. That is 3 hours set, settled, ready to rock. not climbing the tree and getting everything ready leaving you 2.5 hrs or so. It seems when i get out there early, they come late, and when i am running late....they are coming when i am hugging the frickin tree with my bow or gun at the bottom.

Now what I ought to do and what I have sometimes done are two different things. :D I have gotten in a stand late, with only about 45 minutes of shooting light left, and shot deer within 5 minutes of being there. But that is risky and not the norm.

Normally I would like to be on stand with about 3 hours of hunting in front of me.

I follow most of you above and like 3 hours on stand. But, if it's early in the season and getting dark around 8:30 I'm usually in the stand by 4. The morning is the toughest hunt for me. I'm never quite sure when I should be getting down. Usually if I don't see anything after the first 1.5hrs of light, I get down.

In a perfect world I would be in the tree at 3 however this time of year that doesn't happen all the time. I di miss a 160 feeding in a field two years ago at 3:30pm. He came out with a 150s. I couldn't believe it. On the other hand last year I climbed in a tree with only 13 minutes remaining of shooting time. I drove 3.5 hours to make it down there for that last 13 minutes. Hey, you never know. 12 minutes later I shot a big doe that I needed to shoot a buck on this farm. Hunt when you can.

I like to have 3 hours on stand. That is 3 hours set, settled, ready to rock. not climbing the tree and getting everything ready leaving you 2.5 hrs or so. It seems when i get out there early, they come late, and when i am running late....they are coming when i am hugging the frickin tree with my bow or gun at the bottom.
Aint it the truth.I like to get in the tree or be settled late muzz by at least 3;30 or so but have went in later then that.Depends on the weather tempature ect. but hunt when you can!

I always want to be in the stand by 2:30 as well. But alot depends on the weather and scouting. Alot of the time I wont see anything until last light, but if there is a front moving in the deer could be up and feeding alot earlier. Hunt when you can, but I would say scouting is the key. I want to be there and settled at least a half hour before the first deer shows itself.

Top Bottom