Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's the oddest thing to happen while hunting

T

turkeygirl

Any of you have any weird storied to tell that happened when you were hunting? I do! During shotgun deer season last fall(2004)I was sitting in a stand in our woods(we have 14 acres of land surround by fields). The neighbors each season get a big party and do drives through the woods as their way of hunting. Anyway I was sitting in the stand, decided to get down because I was cold when I hear the neighbors start shooting across the road. They shoot at running deer so they shoot alot,lol! Well I climb back up in the stand because the deer tend to run across the road and into our land. I'm watching and see some tails come up over the hill in a field across the road. I see some does and they turn to cross the road. Well at the same time they are crossing, a car comes up the road, it doesn't slow down and I hear a "clunk" type of sound. I can't see very well through the trees but I see the back end of a deer in flip into the air then I see the deer run into the woods to my left and one deer was a little slower than the others. Well I thought maybe that car hit one but it didn't even slow down! The car kept going. I call on the radio to the house and my dad comes over and walks the edge of the woods where I saw the deer. Nothing came out so I thought the deer kept going. I climb down and he says there is a huge doe lying dead on the edge over there! I'm like "Wow, so the car did hit the deer!" Well we weren't going to waste it so we dragged her back to the house and cleaned her up. The car hit her right in the shoulder and the force was enough to break ribs which punctured the lungs and when my mom cleaned the heart, the inside was like totally blown up from the force. It is too bad so many deer are left lying on the road because alot of good meat gets wasted. So anyone else have a story?
grin.gif

Re: What's the oddest thing to happen while huntin

I actually had something pretty cool happen on Friday while shed hunting. I had just picked up a nice 5 point side and was walking along a fence. I came to a half opened gate and a full grown wild hen turkey was stuck in the corner trying to get throught the fence. I grabbed her by the feet and picked her up,only to be beat half to death by her flapping wings! I got on my two-way radio to see if my shed hunting buddy had his camera but he didn't so I just gave her a toss and she glided down the hill to the creek where she disappeared into the weeds. It was really cool. She is lucky I wasn't a coyote!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Should have killed a doe on the last day I got out hunting during my first bow season. I had been getting ready to climb out of my stand when a big group of does busted out of there beds and started running towards me. I had been hoping a buck had bumped them, so I put my grunt tube in my mouth and got ready. Well, I didn't see any bucks, but the does were coming right under my stand so I decided not to be picky. 12 of the 13 jumped the fence and kept going, but one yearling paused before gathering herself for the leap. I drew my bow, but when I released I was shocked to hear a thunk and feel something pulling at my neck. I also watched the arrow fly over the doe's back. Moral of the story: don't shoot your bow with a grunt tube in your mouth.
grin.gif

This happened in pennsylvania, a clump of acorns fell from the heavens of an oak and when it hit the ground it landed on a chipmunk, knocked the little guy out for a few minutes...

Another which happened in New York was a red tailed hawk swooping down and forceing a gray squirrel to also bale from the heavens of a cherry. Needless to say the squirrel never woke back up and the hawk never came back. My Father told me these stories...

I had a tree stand I had built my first year of archery, it was the most unsafe stand I had ever seen or built but location was key, I called it the death trap stand, it was the way out on a limb and about 20 feet up. Anyway over the years it has gotten mossy and a great place for these family of coons to bath in the sun, there was always coon crap all over the plat form.
On a warm late october morning I made my way to the stand and began to climb up the old tree, I'm almost to the limb and all of a sudden I had a mother and a few kits run up right up by me... They had been laying on the platform before the sun was up and then stayed at the top of the tree till I had no more time to hunt... Not the wierdest thing cause I knew it would only be a matter of time before our paths crossed but was pretty funny... Also when you have a turkey roost by you and trying to sneak out at night not trying spook the bird.

Had a pair of wood ducks that hung out on a pond that I hunted next to several years ago. One morning while in the stand I heard the whistling wings come through the trees. About the time I picked them out I heard what sounded like a gust of wind followed by a large puff. Feathers went everywhere and a falcon tumbled to the bank with the female woody in it's talons. Talk about cool. The falcon pulled the woody up under some brush and picked and ate it for about 30 minutes. Probably one of the most amazing things I'll ever see.

Ogz I had about the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago but within 15 yards a Red Shouldered Hawk swooped and caught a bird in a stand of willows it then perched on a branch and devoured the bird. Very interesting I was able to take a few steps and get even closer. Wasted nothing but the feathers.

In 2003, I was bow hunting and it was starting to get dark and the rabbits were starting to move big time. They were all around me. Then I happened to hear wings coming through the trees, this owl landed in the tree right in front of me. You could see it just watching all of those rabbits, wanting to get one them, then the owl flew down just in front of me and grabbed one of the rabbits, I have never heard anything sqeal so loud in my life. Then the owl flew off into the timber with it. It was a truly awesome sight to see.

Top Bottom