Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's the rule?

Deerguy45

Just wondering what the rule is for tagging a deer? I shot a deer that I haven't located yet(its been 1 week) I have a real good feeling its dead but not able to find him. Wondering if someone finds him during shotgun do I still need a tag if I've already shot a different one? Not sure how likely this is being that I don't shoot just any ole buck but if by chance I see another mature buck I may shoot him. Any help would be nice. Thanks

If you shot a buck and didn't find it then your tag is still valid as you have no deer to tag.

The question I'm asking is if I do shoot another buck then later find my original buck what are my options to keep the original deer or do I forfeit the deer ? Is there another way I can tag it or do I need a tag?

If you find the first one later one, a salvage tag would be the correct way to keep it for yourself. Personally, if I shot a buck and was certain he was dead, I'd have a hard time shooting another.

If you find the first one later one, a salvage tag would be the correct way to keep it for yourself.

Last time I asked the local CO for a salvage tag, she said she would only give it to me if the meat was edible. She said mice needed the calcium. I've never asked since.:(

Last time I asked the local CO for a salvage tag, she said she would only give it to me if the meat was edible. She said mice needed the calcium. I've never asked since.:(

Seriously?!? WTH? And they wonder why people break laws.......

I can see why the CO won't give out salvage tags to inedible deer, poacher shoots deer, waits a couple of weeks, asked for salvage tag.

I can see why the CO won't give out salvage tags to inedible deer, poacher shoots deer, waits a couple of weeks, asked for salvage tag.

I was trying to claim a road kill with a nice rack, when I couldn't get a tag, I left it there. Two days later I went past the spot and it was gone.

I was trying to claim a road kill with a nice rack, when I couldn't get a tag, I left it there. Two days later I went past the spot and it was gone.

Were you going to take the whole deer? Buddy asked for one and got one but was told he had to take everything not just the head.

Last edited:
Not to hi-jack the thread but, I thought the DNR was supposed to cut the heads off road kill bucks (at least bigger ones) before issuing salvage tags for the meat? At least I have seen some DNR officers do that. Some county sheriff's office, not so much. May be one of those "officer choice" decisions????? Seems like what you would need is the same "tag" that you might get if you found an intact skull while shed hunting and asked for a tag for that... :confused:

Were you going to take the whole deer? Buddy asked for one and got one but was told he had to take everything not just the head.
I was hoping for the head, but would have taken the whole thing. I have lots of places to dispose of the rest of it.

Last time I looked at a salvage tag it said right on it something about "not for antlers". Just to "salvage" the meat was the intent as i read it.

The last 2 years I have found good bucks dead, one was shed hunting, the other was rabbit hunting. I called my local CO, he came and looked at them. I told him I was going to cut the heads off, and he issued me a salvage tag for both. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the officer.

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the officer.

I agree with this 100% Also if it is true about a salvage tag being for meat only, then a tag should never ever be issued to a dead head found while shed hunting.

As for the original question, that would be a question to ask your CO if/when that time comes. Whether you choose to continue hunting for a different buck is up to you to decide.

I picked up a salvage tag road kill last month. CO wouldn't do it so the local sheriff did.

Could you have someone else in your group tag if your party hunting? I have also had a CO give me a salvation tag for just the head. A small 8 point. And this year the same CO did not give us a salvation tag for a bigger buck that she believes with poached. There was 5 dead buck within a few hundred yards of each other.

whats the rule for a salvage tag? do you need one to pick up say just an old skull you find laying around? because if so that seems ridiculous

Top Bottom