Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's your choice of bow?

G

garstar

What's your choice of bow and why? I am looking at spending close to a grand on a new bow and I'm looking for some info. I am using a Browning Backdraft now but I am thinking of somthing a little better. I dont know why because I dont have that good of land to hunt. Last year I had doe'
confused_em8.gif
s with fawns with them and I didn't have the heart to shoot mama. No bucks came my way.

Ah! Here's my que!

Longbow, what other choice is there?
grin.gif

$150 and 12 years later still going strong. What an investment........Silent death in the woods......

Whoops! They discovered I was out of my room at the ward........later
wavey.gif

On a serious side, Gary the guys I hang around with all have new Matthews compounds. I'm not smart enough to be able to tell you what models, etc... but I have not heard any bad words while hunting or shooting with them, except when they have to help me find my arrows that missed the targets......
frown.gif

BW, go to bed so your eyes don't droop shut in the wee hours of the morning when you drive south. See you @(that means at) lunch time. I'll look like the Japanese tourist @(we already went through this) Disneyworld with all sorts of black bags slung around my neck. I probably won't make it through the metal detector with all the cameras and paraphenalia I'll be carrying. Hope they have shopping carts. stingray

I got a brand new Mathews in the box that i just won at a turkey banquet. It is 60 lbs and has a SLBR 29 inch cam but could be swapped for up to 30 inch cam or down to 24 inch. I shot it twice only, never set it up just tied a nock and used a temp rest to get the speed . With a 408 grain Gold Tip it shot 266fps, bare string at 60 lbs. Not too bad at all for only 60 lbs.

Make me a offer and she may be yours!!!!

From a Browning to a Mathews is a big jump in performance and shootability.

I admit to some prejudice, but if you are thinking of changing bows now is a good time to go traditional. There is just some thing about any kind of traditional longbow or recurve or stickbow that makes shooting a lot more fun. You also won't be changing bows every year or two when something new comes out that is faster or smaller. You get used to your bow and it becomes like taking your best friend hunting. Your hand just fits and everything just becomes so smooth and natural. Just something to consider.

check out archery research for compounds and I like my blk. widow recurve.
archerys fun dont make it hard!

NW, The Bow I have for sale is a 2002 Mathews NWTF Boss Editon MQ1, It is new and in original box , comes with all the manuals Warranty card and a CD rom on shooting it, Also comes with the key chain, Hat pin and a decal.

Not sure what it is worth, so do your home work before you make a offer.

Also . huntersfriend.com has a comparing page that compares all makes models against oneanother for speed , forgiveness , price , brace heights , Etc.

You will find that the Bow Techs take just about every if not all categories. I think on the speed comparison they had 10 of the top 13 arrow speeds and those are tested, guaranteed speeds and other manufacturers are only estimated IBO's

I just bought a Bow Tech Pro 40 Dually 2 weeks ago. Shooting the best scores of my life with it. Fast , forgiving and shootable speed. Little spendy though.

Gritty

Jeepers Bobcat! That's a pretty high tech longbow. My top end is 160. I once shot at a button buck that made P&Y by the time the arrow hit him.
grin.gif

In 1996 I had a chance to attend the Olympics in Atlanta, Ga. While there I visited the archery venue where all but 1 U.S. shooter had a Hoyt bow in his hands. I went to Hoyt then and never looked back. Also, as already stated, Mathews bows are very popular and an up and comer is Bowtech. I don't think you can go wrong with any one of the three mentioned.

I tried a Bowtech and it didn't seem as smooth as the Mathews Legacy. I think I will wait tell the dealer gets in the new LX from Mathews.

BW, that 190 fps was on a warm summer day when I was limbered up, on a cold day in the stand I'm sure I lose some length in draw and quite a few fps!!! Hey, I misplaced your cell phone # in this organized mess I have here,
rolleyes.gif
how about shootin me an email so I can put that on file again.

I went from a borrowed bow (don't know what the heck it was), to a Bear Whitetail II (I think everybody and their brother had at least one), to a Jennings Buckmaster (not too shabby for the $$) and ended up with a Mathews Q2. Every step seemed like a light years worth of improvement. There maybe a better bow than the Mathews, but I'm not looking to find out. That baby just plain shoots.

Thunderhorn longbow, shoots a blazing 190 fps, so slow one time I shot at a deer, got down to look for my arrow and it hit me in the back of the head!! Paid $200 for it two years ago and have taken seven deer and a boar with it. Deer don't seem to mind how slow it shoots!! The bad thing about it is the physical weight, dang thing weighs a whopping 16 ounces, sorta wears my arm out carryin it around the timber!
grin.gif

Mathews does make nice bows, I had one for two years and went right back to a Hoyt. The new Hoyt lineup can be seen at www.hoytusa.com I have the Hoyt Supertec. For a speed bow, it is by far the smoothest shooter. I do like the new Cybertec as well and its IBO rating is still pretty fast and has minimal shock. Just shoot as many bows as possible and don't settle for a cheap model, you'll kick yourself later when it fails on you at the time you need it the most.

Don't make any decision untill you try out the Bowteck line of bows. Mathews are surely a fine machine, until you need customer service, all the good ends right there. Bowteck makes some of the fastest, quietest, smoothest and lightest bows out there right now. They are priced within your budget also. I bought one off ebay two years ago. Simply put, I love it and won't turn back to any other company I've tried in the past. Customer service trips all over its self to help you out. I've never had a problem with mine, but did have some questions. I dialed up customer service and it was a great experience. Talked for over an hour. I've shot this bow alongside of mathews shooters and the comment was "wow thats a quiet bow". Even the local Mathews dealer said the same thing when I was there shooting his indoor range. Only thing is he said it over and over. Mnbuck, I live in Alexandria, good to see someone hear who's close to home.

mnbuck,check out the archery research bow before you buy, a guy at work that part times in a archery shop says this is the bow to have.

I dont have a clue,dont ask me.
confused.gif

muddy are they selling at your shop?

Actually we do have the AR 34 bow in house...unless it was sold since the last time I worked. I really like how they shoot, nice and smooth. The only thing I dont like about it is the string vibration, but that can be fixed with string leeches and such.

I prefer the Hoyts myself.

Top Bottom