Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's your opinion on blood trailing dogs?

The thing that turned me against the tracking law as written was where it stipulated that violating any of the conditions would only be a $25 fine. That way a guy can grab any old mutt of a dog without a leash and tresspass whereever he wants without getting permission and if he gets caught it is only a $25 violation of tracking laws and not even a trespassing charge. No way I can agree to back a bill written that way, it almost encourages trespassing with dogs.

What's to stop people from pushing deer now and saying they are grid searching for a wounded deer for instance on neighboring property?

Even though it isn't written into the law, most people would agree that when involved in "the unarmed pursuit of wounded game", you better be able to show the landowner a blood trail.

Dogs don't need that much scent, so might encourage people to go after less than fatally shot deer. I'm for using dogs and Daver's suggestions are probably needed.

The thing that turned me against the tracking law as written was where it stipulated that violating any of the conditions would only be a $25 fine. That way a guy can grab any old mutt of a dog without a leash and tresspass whereever he wants without getting permission and if he gets caught it is only a $25 violation of tracking laws and not even a trespassing charge. No way I can agree to back a bill written that way, it almost encourages trespassing with dogs.

Would still be trespassing. I don't see how it would be any different whether you had a dog or no dog. Ultimately up to a CO to determine whether you were legally on a property or not.

Blood tracking dogs are legal in many states and I don't hear any complaints of rampant trespassing with fake bloodtrailing dogs or bowhunters taking 100+ yard shots at deer "just to get an arrow in him so the dog can track him".

1. The tracker must have permission from the landowner.

2. The dog (s) must be on a leash.

3. The hunters must be unarmed

4. Dog must be certified, licensed or some system of tracking dog certification in place.

5. Much larger than $25 fine for violating any of the above - at least $100 but $250 would be better.

Put these stipulations in the law and I'm pretty sure it would pass without issue.

1. The tracker must have permission from the landowner.

2. The dog (s) must be on a leash.

3. The hunters must be unarmed

4. Dog must be certified, licensed or some system of tracking dog certification in place.

5. Much larger than $25 fine for violating any of the above - at least $100 but $250 would be better.

Put these stipulations in the law and I'm pretty sure it would pass without issue.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with any of those. I think #5 should apply to all trespass fines.

Found a good article for their use:
http://deersearch.org/?page_id=215

Also found this graphic:

Green — Tracking allowed
Red — No Tracking allowed
Gray — Tracking allowed under certain circumstances or in certain areas of the state but not all.

Last edited:
Interested to hear what fishbonker has to say

Well, I think you are the first to say that.

The IBA did a poll a couple of years ago on this issue. The respondents were very concerned about trespassing so we were against the bill. It came up again last year. We did not poll our membership because the bill was (as I recall) identical to the previous bill.

Other states (as I've read here but I have no data) don't seem to have an issue with trespassing while using dogs but other states don't have what Iowa has for deer nor the access issues Iowa has.

Let me ask everyone this: if you wounded a doe would you call in a tracking dog?

There are threads about this issue somewhere here on IW. The one from last year is on page 2 of the Legislative forum but there was a more extensive one from a couple of years ago.

It is too late for this to go the legislature this year but lets try this; I'd be more than willing to sit down with the blood tracking association and try to get a legislative initiative that we can all live with. I'd have to get the OK from the IBA board but let's talk. PM me or email me [email protected] if you are a member of the blood trackers and would like to meet. I'm in the CR, Solon, Mt. Vernon area.

Nah, I'm pretty much opposed to it regardless of how steep the fine is. Why are we as hunters continually looking for ways to decrease our woodsmanship skills? If you can't track it, don't shoot it!!! Thinking about shooting pool instead of your bow? Well, hit the bar stool this fall instead of your tree stand.
Do you see the point I'm trying to make? I'm not sure you can hear me, my horse is really tall...
Stop making excuses and do what is required to be proficient at killing something with your bow.

The trespassing argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What stops someone from trespassing now? Seems it would be easier getting in and out of someplace undetected without dragging a stupid dog along.

Sure it does. Be prepared. Be self sufficient. Be a better woodsman.
Dont look for GPS units or canines to help you take the easy way out. If you need help that bad, ask your friends.
You are playing the Devil's advocate, I'm not going down that road. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the wheels come off. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it will. ;)

Nah, I'm pretty much opposed to it regardless of how steep the fine is. Why are we as hunters continually looking for ways to decrease our woodsmanship skills? If you can't track it, don't shoot it!!! Thinking about shooting pool instead of your bow? Well, hit the bar stool this fall instead of your tree stand.
Do you see the point I'm trying to make? I'm not sure you can hear me, my horse is really tall...
Stop making excuses and do what is required to be proficient at killing something with your bow.

Ha Ha Ha sounds like somebody fell off his bar stool and landed on his head a few too many times.... :)

You are playing the Devil's advocate, I'm not going down that road. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the wheels come off. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it will. ;)

Oh c'mon dude, you have been down worse roads!

As for the wheels coming off, I was an army ranger, we pulled 'em off intentionally!

Last edited:
I'm sure all those against it would have a change if heart if it was them that shot a great buck and couldn't find it. Of course those people are probably plenty self righteous so I might be wrong!!!!!!!

I didn't read the whole trad but it is legal to track deer with a dog in Iowa. If you look it up on the dnr web page you will find the rules. You have to have the dog on a trailing lead you can't have a weapon well tracking and you can't cross a fence without land owner permission.

Top Bottom