Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's your plan with the high winds forecasted

boacephus

I'm thinking of trying my first standing corn hunt tomorrow. I have read posts on how to do it but I'm still confused. Do you simply walk with glancing out the corner of your eye down the rows or do you sorta still hunt it. Step through a row take a knee and glass, wait go to the next? It's a pretty vast corn field I want to hit, do they like the first 20-30 yds in or do they stay in the middle of no where. Perhaps water ways, hill tops, valleys?? This field is far from flat. Any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

I've done it before but it's a tough hunt. If you ever get one doing it, it would have to be a thrill. Obviously, start at a downwind corner. The windier and noisier the better. I try to zig zag into the wind one row at a time. However, you want to look down the next row your about to step into. If your in the same row as the deer your probably done. Crouching down or kneeling gives you better visability. If there's a buffer strip of if the field is terraced, that's where you should see most of the deer. I've come close quite a few times but never connected on any. It is a fun way to break up the hours of sitting in a stand though.

I have killed several deer in standing corn including a couple from less than 10 feet away. (Not ten yards, ten Feet).

I wrote a lot of detail about how to do it in my book Corn-Fed Giants which was published in 1993. It's been out of print for quite a few years but you might be able to find it on Amazon.com or somewhere like that.

Basically start with the wind in your face and just poke your head in a row and look both ways. If you don't see anything, step into that row and poke your head into the next. When you see a deer, just back off a few rows, then move down the row until you are in line with the deer. The you slowly work your way across the rows once again until you can see the deer and get a shot off. It will be CLOSE!

You usually do not need binculars because you generally can only see about 30-40 yards down the rows at the most. Shots will be very close, usually less than five yards.

Best areas are grassy places in the corn. Best fields are those that are remants when most of it has been combined.

Good luck, it's a longshot in a huge field but when you find a deer it's quite a rush because it is up close action. You can get away with a lot of movment and noise because of all the movment of the corn. I've had deer see me in plain sight and just look at me because they never see people out there and it's like they can't believe their eyes.

I could tell a lot of stories about this kind of hutning... I've been doing it for 25 years. What a blast.

Thanks for the pointers. I just double checked with the farmer for my access and it seems I have lost that property. Bummed out a bit, that property had the highest potential for not only a mature buck but a wall hanger. Suppose I shoulda checked earlier, but it's been there for years and didn't think it would go any where, good thing I check with property owners every year, lol. There are other fields but those aren't as close to any core areas. Have to rethink my whole season now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have killed several deer in standing corn including a couple from less than 10 feet away. (Not ten yards, ten Feet).

I wrote a lot of detail about how to do it in my book Corn-Fed Giants which was published in 1993. It's been out of print for quite a few years but you might be able to find it on Amazon.com or somewhere like that.

Basically start with the wind in your face and just poke your head in a row and look both ways. If you don't see anything, step into that row and poke your head into the next. When you see a deer, just back off a few rows, then move down the row until you are in line with the deer. The you slowly work your way across the rows once again until you can see the deer and get a shot off. It will be CLOSE!

You usually do not need binculars because you generally can only see about 30-40 yards down the rows at the most. Shots will be very close, usually less than five yards.

Best areas are grassy places in the corn. Best fields are those that are remants when most of it has been combined.

Good luck, it's a longshot in a huge field but when you find a deer it's quite a rush because it is up close action. You can get away with a lot of movment and noise because of all the movment of the corn. I've had deer see me in plain sight and just look at me because they never see people out there and it's like they can't believe their eyes.

I could tell a lot of stories about this kind of hutning... I've been doing it for 25 years. What a blast. </div></div>

I have this book. One of the best hunting books I have. I read it a couple times a year sitting in my treestands. I even took it to Elk hunting with me. Great book...

Top Bottom