Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When do deer use corn vs beans

78mac78

What weather patterns do deer go to corn fields vs bean fields come November, December, January? Seems like they are in one or the other around me but I haven’t got it quite figured out.

Hard to say. Cold and snowing my neighbor always pulls them into his corn, despite the 50/50 rotation of corn and beans around me.

They are definitely off the cereal grain / Dbltree mix plot in my neck of the woods.. My fields will be barren in the super cold.

What weather patterns do deer go to corn fields vs bean fields come November, December, January? Seems like they are in one or the other around me but I haven’t got it quite figured out.
My opinion in my experience, corn trumps beans.

Beans are easier to grow, cheaper all around, but if the two are side by side the deer are going to the corn.

If I can get them to maturity and I don't need the concealment of the corn, I'd take beans over corn every time.
Unfortunately beans just don't work for me right now, so I grow corn.

I’ve done 20+ years of beans & corn now. I have both every year.
My experience is not everyone’s experience.
IMO- corn is the more robust well rounded grain that covers any period of time.
Beans IMO- don’t have a huge draw October & November. Then late season- usually requires really cold temps to get em to beans. Corn flourishes all the time.
In either case, I have brassicas, clover & Dbltree blend next to either.
Last: 20 years ago - beans were better than corn. Not exactly sure what’s changed. IMO- it’s the genetics which has increased tannin content & lost flavor in return for higher yields. I also think the fertility of lime, p&k, sulfur & micros is INCREDIBLY important for beans to be a desired food source. Majorly impacts flavor.

Over the years I have found deer like both about equal. Maybe they prefer cut corn better early season. I know for sure deer don't like to eat corn off the stalk unless they have too. I always struggled with standing corn because I consider it borderline unethical to mow corn down for the deer (just a personal thing). To me, beans are more enjoyable to hunt because you can see the whole plot. Standing corn blocks your view. The neighbors also play a big role in how your plots attract deer. If you have the only standing ag, your hunts will be insane late season.

Top Bottom