Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When do you scout and pick/hang stands?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious how and when most of you do this. How many of you do it now, how many procrastinate (I know you're busy!) & don't get to it til summer or right before season? Are you pulling/hanging stands now, scout when shed hunting? Finding great sign now that you are confident you can hunt over NEXT FALL? Feel like scouting before season goofs up your spots or no? Interested in the perspectives.

*My OPINION and TACTIC- I do all my scouting now, maybe a touch in summer because I can't seem to ever finish it up by then. I do SOMETIMES TRIM in late summer because lots grows back in shooting lanes.
BASICALLY, bottom line- I hang a set now because I feel the sign is far better and the conditions are a million times better than summer & I leave it till the day I hunt it- don't go back for 6 months or whatever. I WILL NOT TOUCH MANY AREAS FROM NOW TIL NOV 1-ISH!!!!!
I generally won't pick any spots out in summer- when I do, I am usally WRONG once season hits- it's just a waste of time for me. And, I've had too many years of hanging in summer where it's UNBEARABLE!!! Hang now and it's comfortable, cool, fun and effective!!!
That's my tactic and strong opinion (get ready to hit it soon!!!!!) but curious of others!?!?!?

I'm one of those lazy guys who doesn't hang stand until late August or September. Other than the stands that are on food plots, which I will leave up year round, I'll pull the rest and rehang them later on in the year. Seems that everything changes do to crop rotations where I hunt, so I usually have to move them acordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I scout now, and hang em the day I hunt. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I scout <u>every</u> day I'm in the field and hang the day I hunt. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

IMO right now is the best time to scout. I have been out scouting/shed hunting all week and found some great new stand sites. I locate stand sites and trim them right now. Then hang in June and retrim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whitetail Warrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO right now is the best time to scout. I have been out scouting/shed hunting all week and found some great new stand sites. I locate stand sites and trim them right now. Then hang in June and retrim. </div></div>

Just for discussion purposes, I'll ask (anybody and everybody, not just you WW) why <u>now</u> is the time to scout. Are you looking at rub activity? Travel patterns now are late season food based and might not be relevant next hunting season. Where the deer/bucks are now is not where I figure I'll find them during the early part of hunting season next year.
Am I wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just for discussion purposes, I'll ask (anybody and everybody, not just you WW) why <u>now</u> is the time to scout. Are you looking at rub activity? Travel patterns now are late season food based and might not be relevant next hunting season. Where the deer/bucks are now is not where I figure I'll find them during the early part of hunting season next year.
Am I wrong?
</div></div>

When the snow melts away you have a book lying wide open of what the deer were doing all Fall. Rubs, scrapes, travel corridors, bedding areas.......everything. It was all preserved when the soft ground froze back in late Nov. You also have a clear view with no lush vegitation to get in your way.

I scout and prepare stand sites now through early Spring, hang stands during early September cold fronts. Also scout during season for new sign and suprise attacks. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I like to scout right now because I walk my entire farm. I go into places that I don't during the hunting season. I like to find those ridges that are torn up with rubs and scrapes that look like a buck was living there this year. I also like to find any new or unknown travel corridors. I also really like the way the timber is really opened up and you can see a lot more and try to figure out what these deer are doing and why. I like to hang most of my stands before season, like the funnels and known travel corridors, but I always have a few extra stands that will be ready to hang during the season when you find new sign or get some new trail cam pics.

Sign now for the most part is pretty irrelevent to me. It's all mid winter food source sign. I'll start snooping a bit when the snow goes, Late April, early May. I've found some good rubs this winter, but are they from Sep? Oct? Nov?????

I actually like to hand on rainy summer days based on what I've seen with the optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the snow melts away you have a book lying wide open of what the deer were doing all Fall. Rubs, scrapes, travel corridors, bedding areas.......everything. It was all preserved when the soft ground froze back in late Nov. You also have a clear view with no lush vegitation to get in your way.
</div></div>
I agree with the rubs and scrapes. Travel corridors are iffy. Bedding areas might be seasonal.

The deer in my area move from their November rut range to sanctuary's. Trying to read a couple of months of deer activity now is futile (IMO).

Some of my answer is the same as above, some a bit different. I scout NOW because the sign you see now is very similar to that of November. It's as close as you can get. That's what I am scouting for- November hunting.

So, the question is- is there a better time to scout? POSSIBLY you could say November itself is the best time to scout. BUT- my strong feeling is- you're ruining your spots by scouting in November. Nothing is 100% and no solution is correct every time BUT for the most part- in my opinion- scouting and hunting around the same time disturbs the area, leaves scent all over, alerts mature bucks (yes even during the rut), spooks deer and makes them know you're hunting them.

Time and time again, I've killed almost every mature buck (I'm talking 5&1/2 & older bucks) in my life from a stand that I scouted, found and hung in the spring. The 1st time I hunt them is generally the best BUT the less pressure on them the better and if I let them rest- I can re-hunt later but I do it LIGHTLY!

The stands I've hung and hunted in Nov can be productive but generally I see far more 3&1/2's and feel I did harm on the giant I was after. I rarely find this combo effective for me on mature old bucks though. If you can consistently hang and hunt and get shots at mature bucks- obviously continue to do it- I can't, my spring method is the only way that's produced with CONSISTENCY for me! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, the question is- is there a better time to scout? POSSIBLY you could say November itself is the best time to scout. BUT- my strong feeling is- you're ruining your spots by scouting in November. Nothing is 100% and no solution is correct every time BUT for the most part- in my opinion- scouting and hunting around the same time disturbs the area, leaves scent all over, alerts mature bucks (yes even during the rut), spooks deer and makes them know you're hunting them.
</div></div>

The BEST time to scout is November. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

By scouting, I'm not talking about stomping every inch of the property. Scouting to me is paying attention to how the deer are using the property while on stand. I've got a couple of trees that allow you to watch large areas, then come back another day and sneak in with the Lone Wolf and set up closer.

If I was going to hunt a new property next fall, you bet I'd be in it now snooping around.

I scout every time I'm out there. I like to hang the stands in late summer or early fall, that way they don't get weathered all summer and also, so I can trim branches and lanes that are less obvious this time of the year than when they have a full canopy.

I think there is value in scouting now, but it is not an absolute predictor of what the deer will be doing on say Oct. 15th next year. I use this time of year to evaluate things and I have selected good stand sites based upon what I have seen, but I have also adjusted a set or placed a new stand in season and shot a buck the first time out due to current observations. So both are key if you ask me.

One key thing that I do look for now are the "buck trails" that are fairly lightly used but are killers right around Nov. 5th through 12th. When I say buck trail I am thinking of a trail that basically "connects" timbers or elements within a timber, such as a series of ridges and so forth.

Regardless of food sources or bedding areas, these are trails that bucks will travel during the rut when they are trying to cover ground and find hot does. I found just such a trail last year, hung a set in August I think and didn't hunt it again until November 10th or so and within an hour I ad a real nice buck picking his way down the trail to me when I found a limb that should have been cut! Although I screwed up the shot, I had done everything else right leading up to that point and I can just about guarantee you that very few people would have set a stand where I did without scouting during this time of the year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I scout every time I'm out there. I like to hang the stands in late summer or early fall, that way they don't get weathered all summer and also, so I can trim branches and lanes that are less obvious this time of the year than when they have a full canopy. </div></div>

I also agree with 150 Class on this. I hesitate to leave stands out all year long so they do not weather/rot or grow into the trees.

I will say- I have buddies that can hang a set and hunt them- many times at the same time. I've tried this and I stink at it!!! I make too much noise, I sweat, I don't have good shooting lanes BUT the biggest reason I don't do it- I HATE IT- it's just a hassle. Then I talk to some friends and they wouldn't do it any other way. I think each of us is set in our ways- spring scouting vs hang and hunt.

For summer scouting, it's so thick and nasty and the bucks are on weird patterns- almost all the stands I hang end up being wrong BUT I do occasionally make a good choice.

For Nov light scouting, I wish I could cover all the areas I like, I can't even do it lightly, every time I've tried light/stealth scouting- I've just felt like I was doing more harm than good. Couple that with spring scouting showing me the same things as Nov scouting in MY CIRCUMSTANCE and that's all I do. I even had some areas this Nov I wanted to check out BUT I had enough stands and just said I had to wait til this spring. Probably could have hunted it BUT I just find those old old bucks don't put up with it- same reason the 1st time I hunt a stand is best- just hunting a stand without any scouting is enough disturbance and makes bucks alert- that's why 1st time is best from my experience. If I added scouting to that timeframe- I feel I'd be hindered greatly on mature bucks! Go into my spots 4 days in a row- they're pretty well shot for giants. That's just my experience.

It sure sounds like other folks are having some great results doing neat and different things that don't work for me but are excellent tactics for you. Interesting feedback so far!!! Good luck and keep doing what works for you!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

This is some really good info and I am picking up on alot of good info. As a NR who going to hunt on public land and is attempting to scout on two separate times, what two times would you choose to scout for a 2nd week of November hunt on land that I have never seen? Twice in spring, spring and summer, sping and fall or whatever. What do you think would be best for me to do to prepare for my trip?

I am leaning toward a scouting trip in early spring when snow melts to identify bedding areas, good trails etc. with my second trip in the summer to determine what has been planted and open shooting lanes.

What do you say?

Buckstop, if it were ME- I'd be looking once the snow comes out. I will say, I hunt more timber and the crop rotations DO NOT effect MOST of my spots. I'd say 80% of my spots for Nov can be picked out now PERFECTLY. (and much better than late summer and early fall.)

Now, lots of folks on here like to hang and hunt. What I would do if you're thinking about that is- I'd go in there when the snow is gone in MARCH, I'd pick out and set up several locations. Then, once season is here, I'd have a couple sets up climbing stix and stands so you can adjust. You also could look in super early fall to determine if the crop rotations will effect your stands greatly. *Like I said, my rut spots DO NOT CHANGE from year to year generally- I don't care what's planted. That's me though on my land.

I'd for sure do some spring scouting and them see if you want to couple it with some early fall and hang and hunt methods that many folks have excellent luck with. *Can't talk me out of spring scouting/hanging being the best (that's my VOTE!!!) in my opinion BUT I think some guys have some very effective methods that are much different- lots of this being PREFERENCE!!! Good luck!!

The #1 problem I've faced when hanging stands in the late summer is that the spot looks IDEAL at the time with full canopy but after the leaf drop, I'm sticking out like a sore thumb. I've come to realize the importance of looking for good sized trees with sizeable branches at a good height for stand placement. This gives dimensional cover which I now feel is absolutely key to an ideal setup. This is hard to discern though when everything is green so I've begun to scout right before shotgun season when the rut sign is still prevalent. I mark trees with a GPS and hang stands the following summer.

I like to put some out now&gt;,,most of all i like to find new trees for my lone wolf climber. it,s a lot easer to find anice straight one nowand write down the location . also I keep two lone wolf portables for november.

Top Bottom