Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When it it too late to plant corn for plots?

Iowa_Buckeye

Any experience with how late you can plant corn if it is just going to be left standing for plots? I assume farmers want to get it in as early as possible so it has time to dry for harvest, but can you still get decent ears if you wait till mid-june or so? The river is in some of our fields now, and doesn't look like it is going to be out of them for a while. The bags of corn we have say '104 day'. Thx.

I would plant it through the latter part of June. 104 day corn should work pretty well. It won't probably be dry until December, but it should mature, or be very close by the first freeze.

We just broadcast some in today, fighting all these Rains are killing us getting much corn in, But there is not a farmer's field in our area that has any corn much over 7 inches tall right now, You should be ok, Wish we could of been in the fields sooner, but heck to be honest I will take prime plots of standing beans over corn anyday for our area, That plus, most of our neighboring farmers have corn planted in their field's that butt up to our property this year, once they cut and rip those field's our bean's will be the only standing crops left in the area:)

It's getting late. You might still be ok, but it will be pollinating in August, the hottest and driest month. In all honestly, I would not plant it. Id go with beans, or turnips.

Talked to a farmer friend of mine the other night who has some beans to plant yet. He told the story of '93 when they planted some beans on June 10th that did 41 bu/acre. Another field planted on June 20th went 5. It's late for corn, and getting there for beans too. Our plots are in, but if they weren't, I'd be switching to turnips, radishes, rye grass, etc. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

You'll be at the mercy of the weather if you plant now, more so than usual. Like vman said, August is the driest month, and corn needs water to pollinate well. That being said, with all the rain we've had so far, its tough to think that there won't be a lot more rain the rest of the summer. I'd go for it...worst case scenario your corn doesn't do worth a hoot and you can overseed with rye and turnips.

My old man works for pioneer and they are still busy as hell shipping out 85 day corn to be planted yet this year.. i think you said yours is 104.. I dont know how much that will affect it but for a food plot you shouldnt have to worry about dry time. As long as we keep getting ample rain throughout the summer you should be fine.. corn loves the heat. Just need the rain to go with it

Agreed! Soybeans sure do make an awesome late season "harvest plot" if you have enough crops around early that they don't all get decimated before they mature. I've got a few acres of clover & brassicas etc... in different plots but my wife insists on beans in front of her tower for late season hunting. Throw some winter rye on them as they start to drop leaves & you'll have some greens too in case the weather doesn't turn nasty. Win/win!

So, I have 104 day corn and its not planted yet. If you're worried about cover it'll be fine. But I don't think you'll produce much on the ear. Deer will still be attracted to the cover right? I'm also planting soybeans and my mix I have.

Considering the rain last night is going to cause the river to come out of it's banks AGAIN, it looks like we will be switching to beans. Or maybe turnips if this rain doesn't quit soon. Corn for cover??? Don't need that where we are at, got plenty of it!

Considering the rain last night is going to cause the river to come out of it's banks AGAIN, it looks like we will be switching to beans. Or maybe turnips if this rain doesn't quit soon. Corn for cover??? Don't need that where we are at, got plenty of it!

I mean for after season.

Top Bottom