Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When should I spray my RU ready corn & beans

roadking

I drive by all these fields that are weedless and can't figure out why my food plots are always so grassy & weedy.
Do I just need to spray RU at the right time?
Any advise is appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roadking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drive by all these fields that are weedless and can't figure out why my food plots are always so grassy & weedy.
Do I just need to spray RU at the right time?
Any advise is appreciated. </div></div>

You can find more info on this subject in our thread on RR corn and soybeans

The farm fields you see most likely use residual herbicides like Bicep and Dual for instance. When I tried Roundup alone my field was a mess "a sea of foxtail" and I ended up spraying it 3 times that year and still couldn't control it.

The following year I used Dual Magnum 2 and had excellent weed control.

Roundup alone works well in soybeans when sprayed at the point that they will canopy and help shade out weeds, but corn is to open and Roundup is more used as a "cleanup" for tough weeds that a residual might not be able to control.

Unless you plan on spraying frequently with RUP your going to have some weeds in your RR corn.

Most of the crop fields that you see do have some type of residual down on them. Guardsman max, Harness Xtra, Balance pro, basis, fieldmaster are just to name a few on corn, and corn only. If you want a clean plot, you need to burn down with round up and 24D, preplant, then come back when the weeds are 4-6 inches and burn again with roundup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you want a clean plot, you need to burn down with round up and 24D, </div></div>

Why the 24D? Does it help get a quicker kill? Does it mean you can use less RU? Tank mix?

Which is cheaper, 24D or RU? I think I know the answer to that question.

Inquiring minds want to know, so I guess that leaves me out.

The 'Bonker

24 D gives a quicker burn, and it "better" on some broadleaves than round up. Right now 24D is half the price of Round up, and yes you can use less as long as you are not burning down established grasses. If you are in that situation, I would leave run the full rate of Round up and still keep the 2 4 D in for quick kill of the broadleaves.

Top Bottom