Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When to get aggressive

Stu

I'm hunting a new piece of property this year that I was able to get onto just before the opener. I've been afraid of getting deep into the property, which holds an oak ridge that runs from north to south, which is bordered by a swamp to the east and the west. I know this is the ridge that bucks are going to be cruising on, but I've been afraid to go in there too early. Also, in order for me to get to it, I have to go along the edge of the swamp which is where the deer are bedding. Up to this point, I've just been hunting field edges (about 200 yards from the ridge) trying to keep undetected, which I have so far. I have been seeing a few smaller bucks, does, and fawns, but I have trail camera photos of atleast 4 definite shooters (photos taken between 10pm-3am) My question is when should I start hunting that ridge and how should I approach going in there and hunting it???

Sorry this is so long, but I'm really excited about this property. It hasn't been hunted in over 15 years and it holds so great bucks and I want to made sure I do this right.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Have you walked that ridge or done any scouting? Do you know the best bedding areas, runways and funnels? Have you seen any big rubs or tracks?

I get aggressive when my scouting has shown me the best place, and then I have some sort of clue as the best time- like a sighting, a trail cam shot, or something that tells me when somethink likely will be coming through. Absent of one of those things, your best off waiting for the pre-rut to start in a few weeks.

Hey Wisco,

No I have not even been on the ridge yet because I am afraid of educating any deer to my presence. However looking at aerial and topo maps, this ridge is pinched in between two swamps and one end of it connects to a cornfield and another big chunk of timber and the other end runs another big block of timber, but there is a 4 lane divided highway that separates it. I am thinking about waiting until the mid-day of the 26th of October (I have off the 26 & 27th), then go in with my treestand on my back, find a spot and hunt the rest of the day. Then go from there. Do that sound about right???

Top Bottom