Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When??

buck1979

I hope to make the trek down to Iowa to chase a whitey with my bow in 2009 if I draw. It's hit or miss if I draw in 2009, and if not, I should in 2010 but, what's your guys expert opinion on when to go? Early season patternable>? Low pressure Ocotober, rutting november?

I need to do more research yet on dates and when I am allowed to hunt there yet, but just throwing it out there.

Hoping to head down sometime in August to do some scouting, prep-work.

I know from reading other threads that Non-residents are not so popular hunting down there, and I 100% understand and respect that, it's no different here with us, but hopefully no one looks down on me here for wanting to experiance your wonderful resource first hand. We have deer here too, great deer, but I want to hunt a cornfield, or a big oak, or sit and watch the sun set on a bean field...Whitetails are beautiful, amazing animals and they are something I would love to hunt/observe/film in all the places they call home sometime over my life.

So again, don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for hotspots, areas or secrets, just what the concensus is amoung the pros here on IW as to what would be the best week or 10 days to spend in a tree bow in hand in Iowa.

Saskbow,

IMO anytime during the first three weeks of November would be my choice. The rut is when you want to be there. Secondly, and more importantly your statement that NR's are unwelcome in IA is understandable but false. Do not let a few on these hunting websites make you feel differently. During my trips to IA I have found 99% of Iowa residents to be extremely friendly and cordial; with most landowners welcoming hunters regardless are where they may be from. Finding access to hunt is not a problem and I have had a few resident landowners offer their land to hunt without me asking. I think you will find this accurate following your trip in the future. Good Luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hopefully no one looks down on me here for wanting to experiance your wonderful resource first hand </div></div>

Absoultely not! We not only welcome you and other NR's to our state but we hope you have a successful hunt as well.

Personally I would shoot for almost anytime in November with my favorite time being roughly 11-08/11-12

Scouting is the best way to get a handle on your plans although early April would be far better then August.

Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Although I have shot all 5 of my P&Y class bucks between 11/1 and 11/6, I am now leaning more towards the 11/8-11/13 range as the "best" time period. But this is something that reasonable people could disagree on pertty easily.

Also, IMO there isn't so much sentiment towards NR hunters/i] as what there may be towards NR landowners and/or supporters of NR landowners getting a buck tag every year. I really do not want to stir up another "go-round" on that big debate, but I think many, many people have no problem "sharing" the states' deer hunting with others, they just don't like to see land get "locked up" by leasing or purchase, etc.

I think this phenomenon varies widely in different areas of the state, but I know right around my place most farms are now owned/controlled by people that bought the land for the hunting/recreation and "neighbors" or "locals" that used to hunt for free now commonly do not have a place to hunt like they used to.

I know you would be welcome to hunt in Iowa, by hunters and others, so I wouldn't worry about that.

good luck, you will really enjoy yourself.

depending on what area you are hunting, the draw could take 3 years. if you apply for lower pressure areas, you might draw faster, but the buck/deer numbers might not be super high

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know from reading other threads that Non-residents are not so popular hunting down there.</div></div>

Most Iowans I have spoken too have been quite helpful and I hope my thread below is taken in good humor.

As far as timing goes, I've heard 11/6 - 11/10 +/- a couple of days is the time you don't want to miss.

If you need help researching, send me a PM.

Last five days in October and the first 9 days of November have been the best for me in the past few years. That has been when most of my mature buck sightings have occured.

What zone did you apply for? The better zones 4,5, and 9 will take at least 3 years to draw. I'm in 9 and there is plenty of good public land to hunt.

I'm sure you'll have a great hunt and hopefully a successful one. PM me if you have any questions on public land around my neck of the woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last five days in October and the first 9 days of November have been the best for me in the past few years. That has been when most of my mature buck sightings have occured.

What zone did you apply for? The better zones 4,5, and 9 will take at least 3 years to draw. I'm in 9 and there is plenty of good public land to hunt.

I'm sure you'll have a great hunt and hopefully a successful one. PM me if you have any questions on public land around my neck of the woods. </div></div>Im with ya on that.

i believe the last few days in oct till around the 18th of nov.the key is the weather if you were to get unseasonably warm weather in there it makes it tough but if the weather turns cold the hunting turns hot the all day hunting anyways i have had alot of success around the 10-12 of nov end of oct really good for rattling though jmo

Sask,
Oct 25 to Nov 14 is the highest odds time frame in my opinion. If I were forced to pick a 10 day stretch like you mentioned, I'd probably say November 3 to November 13. I actually like pre-rut more than the rut itself but without being here constantly to pattern target bucks, I think your highest odds would be the rut itself. JMO and best of luck on the draw and the hunt. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Saskbow,

Im going to recommend the 1st weekend of November. I start bowhunting 1st day its open but it doesnt really get all that interesting till around the opening day of pheasant season which is the last Saturday of October. Usually for about 3 weeks after that depending on the weather (which refused to cooperate this year) the bucks seem to be fairly active.

Id recommend looking into public areas accessible by river, If youre tenacious enough and have a boat handy theres 100's of acres of public hunting along navigable rivers thats river access only. It gets almost no pressure until shotgun season and even than its limited, and for good reason its tough terrain and hard to get at I know a handful of guys that hunt some of these areas 2nd season and have hauled some true hogs out of them.

I dont think the west part of the state is quite as popular as the zones in the eastern part of the state so you may be more apt to pull a tag in the western zones. Another bonus is, In my oppinion theres no other place in the Midwest as beautiful as the Loess Hills.

Good Luck

Top Bottom