Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where do you buy?

blake

Life Member
I live an hour and 15 minutes from Omaha, 2 hours from Des Moines, and 2 hours from Kansas City. When I need or want to purchase new hunting equipment I have to travel some distance. With the price of gasoline and my time it cost a fair amount of money to travel.

Therefore I try very hard to purchase as much of my hunting gear locally. And I must say the guy who owns and operates our local sporting goods store does have competitive prices and he is willing to order anything for a customer.

Often I find that purchasing merchandise from the local sporting goods store is less expensive than ordering from the big box stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Scheels, etc. I can’t believe the shipping cost these stores charge.

I think it is important to help our local archery shops out first. Like it was said earlier, you will usually get better prices at your local shop than at the bigger stores. And you can save a ton of money by not having to pay overinflated shipping costs.

One thing to keep in mind with the shipping costs is that all of the shippers now charge a hefty fuel surcharge on top of the regular shipping prices due to the high costs of fuel. Like always, the costs get passed straight on to the consumer! If it weren't for us consumers, they wouldn't have jobs to begin with!

I live in Minneapolis and hunt in Western WI so I have lots of choices - Cabela's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Mills Fleet Farm, Menards (great prices on BigDog stands and climbing sticks) Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse, Sportsman's Guide Outlet, Scheels and several great local outdoors/archery shops (Capra's in Blaine, MN and Ryan's in Pepin County, WI) - a lot more than I need actually... I only go to Cabela's when I'm driving past or really need their huge clothing/footwear selection/inventory. I really like Mills Fleet Farm for a lot of accessories and buy all my Big Boy stands/sticks at Menards. The boys at Capra's take care of my Mathews Drenalin, everything on it and everything that flies from it. I am beginning to fall in love with Ryan's in Durand, WI - great bow, gun, clothing, footwear and gun selection, prices are fair and it looks like the Buffalo County crowd is going to allow them to remain competitive for many years to come. Would prefer to buy local, but closest is often best - especially when gas was $4/gallon.

Top Bottom