Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

where to sit for tonights hunt, timber or food source??

JUNIOR

With temperatures being in the 50's and wind being 20+ mph, it has me second guessing where to sit, timber or food source?? What's your thoughts??

With temperatures being in the 50's and wind being 20+ mph, it has me second guessing where to sit, timber or food source?? What's your thoughts??

Was gonna ask the same question, sat in a pinch point where they had the option to run along standing corn and run alone the ditch in the timber and they chose the timber last night. Not sure if this helps, just personal observation.

I sat timber yesterday and didn't really see squat. When I got out i saw tons of deer on food.....so I think id go food.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I'll be hunting timber near the bottom of the hill. I think just like us, they try and stay out of the wind but don't bed down because of it. I'd focus on hillsides out of the wind and creek bottoms. I don't know about the rest of the state but it's gusting to 30 here in DBQ.

I think I have decided to sit in a stand about 50 yards off a field in the timber. There's also cedars directly to my south so I think the wind will be calm in that area. It worth a shot!!

They are definitely out of the wind tonight, I have had a doe and fawn lay down and browse about 20 yards anyways since about 1:30. I can see into the field and nothing is on it.

Yeah i stuck one of them. Couldn't find my arrow but did find decent blood. Either heading to look late tonight if I can't get work off or waiting til the morning. Drove around for the last hour of light and saw 5 different buck/doe pairs or threesomes. 3 were over 140.

10 min after getting into my stand, around 2:30, I saw a 2.5 year old pushing a doe across the field. I tried grunting and tapping the horns without a response. About an hour later I did a rattling sequence and had the same buck Sprint across the field right at me. I didn't even have time to pick up my bow. He walked off and I didn't see anything until I lowered my bow down and saw the same buck 30 yards away in what would've been a perfect broadside shot. They're definitely pushing. Lesson learned today...

Top Bottom