Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which gun?

trowser44

anyone have any opinions on which gun would be the best slug gun? i have a mossberg 500 that i love for bird hunting but cant seem to do much during the deer season. heard the 870 was great. let me know. Thanks

IMHO there isn't really a "best". I believe it is based on your personal prefrence. I personally shoot a Remington 1187 which is a semiauto.

There are guys that won't use anything but a 870 express for everything from waterfowl to deer.

I just bought what was in my budget, and what felt good in my hand and when I shouldered the gun.

1187 with a hastings cantilever slug barrel is the best gun I have ever shot. I love that gun. It is accurate, holds steady, and just plain shoots.

If you want a good shooting slug gun, then get a slug gun. Mossberg 695 is a bolt action with a two shot clip. My muzzleloader BARELY outshoots my 695. It's not an expensive gun either...

1187 with a hastings cantilever slug barrel is the best gun I have ever shot. I love that gun. It is accurate, holds steady, and just plain shoots.

Ditto in a 20gauge. My dad owns this very setup. Light, Holds Great, Very Deadly...

I shoot an 870 express with a fully rifled cantilever barrel, with the hornady sst's i can hold a good group out to 150 yards. The savage 210 bolt action would be another one to research, i have witnessed my old man proned out like a sniper and take multiple deer at 180-195 yards.

Just like many other things, the tool is only as good as the person using it. You could go out and spend some fat cash on a high dollar gun and still never be very good with it. there is no "Best Gun" IMO and anyone, IMO, that tells you there is, may just be partial to one brand or another. Same thing if you were to ask what is the best bow, or truck or even baseball bat. Bottom line is you need to find something you are comfortable holding and shooting, and then shoot it, shoot it a bunch. Shoot different types of slugs through it also. You will most likely find some kinds work better than others. You mentioned a mossberg 500. That is what I shoot and it is deadly for me. I shot 3 deer last year with it, 2 of them at just over 70 yards and one close to 90. The 2 at 70 were one shot kills each and the one close to 90 got a second slug when I got within 20 feet of her. I bought the gun off a guy at work who said it shot like crap. I spent some time sighting it in with a new slug barrel and got to know what slugs shot the best and I have been hammering deer with it for the last 5 years.

Top Bottom