Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which new muzzleloader?

pwrgraphics

PMA Member
I'm trying to help my dad figure out which muzzleloader to buy. So far, it's between a Knight Long Range Hunter and an Encore Pro Hunter. If you could purchase either one, which would it be and why? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chad

I owned a Knight Disc Extreme and loved it. However I bought a Pro Hunter last year and liked it better for many reasons. The biggest reason was cleaning was easier. My wife now shoots the Pro Hunter and I bought a new TC Endeavor. I like that one even more now with the ease of removal of the breach plug by hand. My honest opinion would be a Pro Hunter.

Here is what we have put down with the TC's this year.
Jeremy08muzzbuck.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Sarahdoefav.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knight Long Range Hunter and an Encore Pro Hunter </div></div>

In my opinion these are two different types of muzzy. I would compare the pro hunter to the KP1 it is totally different than the long range hunter. I have the KP1, Disc Extreme and the Long Range hunter and while not having much experience with the Long Range hunter yet I think it is going to be a tac driver. The KP1 is tough to beat for versatility ease of cleaning and is also very accurate. I can't comment on the TC as I have never fired one but I would imagine it would be much the same as the KP1.

I've been a long time Knight fan, bought a Disc back in the early 90's and been using Knight ever since. However, I have to admit that my next muzzy is likely going to be a TC. They've really ramped it up a notch with their latest designs. The only Knight I'd possibly consider at this time is the KP1 but I haven't shot one yet so my opinion hasn't yet been formed whether it's a worthy rival to the TC or not.

i own both a TC (Rifle) and a Knight (Shotgun) i know they are different, but ease of cleaning is the big thing for me. both will serve you well, i dont think you can go wrong....

i deer hunt with a TC Encore, same basic guts as the Pro Hunter and Endeavour, and all three shoot the same.

both choices are solid
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Either one of 'em is going to kill a deer and shoot accurately. Go to a retailer and try both of them on for size. See which one is more comfortable, which one fits better, which one feels better. Personally I'd go with the one that is easiest to clean considering the fact you will/should be cleaning it very often if you want it to last and shoot to it's full potential. I recently bought my very first muzzleloader, a TC Omega because it was on sale for a crazy low price. It drives tacks but is a pain to clean. The breach plug is very inconvenient to screw out especially with a scope on top the gun.

Both of those guns I'm sure are killing machines. Just go with the one that "fits" you the best. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I went with a Knight a few years ago based solely on economic issues. What they want for a TC is too much in my opinion. I bought a new disc extreme Knight and put a scope on it for less than what the TC's were bare gun.

I got the Knight Rolling Block a few months ago, but I haven't shot it so I can't give a review on that. I have taken it apart several times playing with it though and that thing comes apart super easy. The TC Encore seem to be the hot thing, but in all honesty I just don't need the versatility it offers- that and the thing is pretty expensive.

Limb what's the blow back like on the KP1??? Some reviews say it is terrible, got one like that now in my rem. 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timekiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The TC Encore seem to be the hot thing, but in all honesty I just don't need the versatility it offers- that and the thing is pretty expensive. </div></div>

You can go buy a new rifle for the same price as the barrels cost on the Encore! I would rather have a gun that i can put 3 shells in then one single shot! If you want a great Muzz and you don't want to spend a lot of money, then Knight is the way to go! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Brad,
The blow back is not all that bad in the KP1 I am using the trpl se7en pellets and the disc and it isn't any worse than the other two.

The heck with those blackpowders...switch to the Savage ML II and shoot smokeless powder...there's not much (if any) clean up after the ENTIRE deer season....I shoot 69 gr. of H4198 and never had a misfire...Oh yeah, when your gun goes boom...you can actually see where you hit!!

FF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastfreddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">switch to the Savage ML II and shoot smokeless powder FF </div></div>

Didn't want to be the first to post this! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The heck with those blackpowders...switch to the Savage ML II and shoot smokeless powder...there's not much (if any) clean up after the ENTIRE deer season....I shoot 69 gr. of H4198 and never had a misfire...Oh yeah, when your gun goes boom...you can actually see where you hit!!
</div></div>

I was hoping to upgrade to something like this next season. Does anyone know anything negative about these? Is the cost similar to the others? Is it difficult to find the powder? I have done pretty much no research as of yet but I remember reading good things about them on here in the past.

I have not heard one bad thing about the savages. From what I hear they are the cat's meow. Extremely accurate, no smoke, no misfires, no recoil, and no cleanup. I believe the cost is very comparible. A couple buddy's shoot them and I believe they are a little heavier of a gun than the TC's or a Knight. Probably just in the barrel.

I have an TC Omega and just bought some of the Blackhorn 209 loose powder. From what I hear cleaning is just like the Savages and the accuracy is excellent. It burns hot and doesn't leave the residue ring like 777. Supposed to be able to shoot multiple times with no seeding problems.

I will let you guys no what I think.

Blackhorn 209

Top Bottom