Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which new muzzleloader?

Can't go wrong with a long Range hunter imo. Only drawback would be they are slightly heavier than many other mzls. I know several other muzzleloaders actually require you to break in the barrel with several shots sometimes more than 50. The knights shot consistently great right out of the box. A buddy of mine had a an encore that would shoot about about a 3 foot pattern at 50 yards.

The Savage ML-II will by my next purchase due to the smokeless powder and clean-up. If you want to really get crazy with one, you can order a .45 cal Pacnor pre-threaded/chambered drop-in barrel and a crisp adjustable aftermarket trigger. Guys are shooting sabot-less 40 and 45 cal pistol bullets with extreme accuracy/speed. (45 cal is the smallest legal in IA for deer) Here's a link to everything you would want to know about a ML-II and what can be done with one.

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Savage ML-II will by my next purchase
http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage
</div></div>

The word is spreading. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I ran into a couple of deer hunters today and they saw I was carrying my Savage ML10. Both seemed to be fairly knowledgeable about them, one guy says his buddy shoots one and he's gonna buy soon.

Alright Randy, swear to God... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Talk to me about this muzzy... You got the thumbhole? How often do you clean it and what in your opinion are the drawbacks other than the weight and the length? I am interested...

I've seen Randy's Savage... I think he prides himself on the fact he cleans it once every fifteen years... and still drives tacks with it.

If weight is a concern, some of they guys on that site are shooting a short 45 cal. Pacnor will ship any lenght you want. A 22 incher should be great out of a blind or tree stand!

I forgot to mention that the barrel can be changed out in your kitchen if you have the 35 dollar wrench for the barrel nut, another plus...

My dream muzzle
SS thumbhole with third pillar installed and glass bedded
SS Pacnor super match 45 cropped at 22 inches(short and stiff, just like THA4)
Timmey trigger
Nightforce 2.5-10x32 NXS
Leupold QRW rings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright Randy, swear to God... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Talk to me about this muzzy... You got the thumbhole? How often do you clean it and what in your opinion are the drawbacks other than the weight and the length? I am interested... </div></div>

Unfortunately Savage does not offer a thumbhole stock from the factory. They have a black or camo synthetic (which has been nicknamed the "Tupperware stock" and everyone but me seems to hate it) or you can pay a little more for a wood laminate (adds a little more weight). It I was in the position to buy again, I might go laminate but I like my camo synthetic because I'm a utilitarian and not too caught up in looks. It doesn't bother me if I scratch it. You can get an aftermarket thumbhole. The Savage crowd has a couple of "preferred" vendors that I'd have to look up since I'm not really interested in buying one.

I haven't owned mine 15 years yet, so my cleaning frequency is a little more often that Muddy reports. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif It is true though that I've done range time in Sept., hunted early muzzle, shotgun and late Jan. antlerless without cleaning it until the end. I will wipe down the outside of the barrel with an oily patch, but don't bother with the bore. At the end of the season, I tear the gun completely down for a thorough cleaning before storage. So I really like the maintenance of the gun (or lack thereof)!

I also like the fact that I can shoot smokeless, black powder, and black powder substitutes. Don't know why I would be shooting BP or BP subs, maybe traveling to a state where smokeless isn't allowed?

Loads for this gun are in a constant state of flux. Some people are always working up a pet load (some are fools who are skating on thin ice). If you read enough to sift the sages from the fools, you can work up the load you desire. Maybe you want a "Magnum" load shooting heavy projectile (Savage does not recommend anything over 300 grains) or maybe you want a mild recoiling load for a youth hunt. You have options on which powder, how many grains and how heavy of a bullet. It's not the, "Well, should I shoot one, two or three pellets?" question. Granted there is granular BP and BP subs, but it doesn't seem like many are messing with it because they like the convenience of the pellet. I bet that most would gain some accuracy with their current MZ if they spent the time in the off season finding how many grains of loose powder gave them maximum accuracy with maximum velocity.

Savage is not the only smokeless gun going, just happens to my "gateway drug" of choice. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Gotta head out to hunt! See ya later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thumbhole... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
http://www.savagearms.com/10mlbtssii.htm
</div></div>

I stand corrected! If I was to buy now, thumbhole stainless. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Sorry, looked at them last night they are the TMZ with the spitfire tip... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

If anyone is interested - I have a brand new TC Pro Hunter Encore Stainless Thumbhole on closeout for $699 - awesome gun for $100 or more off what most places sell them for.

Top Bottom