Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

which one to choose

se/iowa.justin

"THE HAMMER"
After reading all the posts, especially Muddy's, its time to get a high power for yotes. Just wondering what the prefered calibers are. Was thinking either 223 or 22-250, but didn't know if there are others to look into, like a 204 or 222. I will be hunting for the fur as well as thinning the herd. Thanks for the advice.

I have shot a 222 for over 30yrs and it works great on yotes and fox as well. I shoot the 40gr hollow points and you have to search for the hole on the yotes and the fox have only an entry or a small hole to sew on the fox.
The accuracy is very good but it just isn't as fast as some of the others. The 204 is a versatile round and very flat shooting.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
You will have cheaper ammo (if you can find it) in .223 or 22/250. I shoot the cheap winchesters 40gr. in 22/250. But to each his own.

I will be picking up a new 22-250 tomorrow night that I ordered last week. I was debating the .223 vs. the 22-250 as well and decided to go with the 22-250 mainly due to liking the round a lot more. Its a lot faster than the .223 and I am really looking forward to some long range shooting. Yes the ammo is a little pricier but if you're able to reload then it won't be that big of a difference. Whatever you get I'm sure you will be happy, they're all good rounds.

I believe the 5 digit midget is the best cAliber for yotes. -250. However, I like my guns in black so .223 for me.

I will be picking up a new 22-250 tomorrow night that I ordered last week. I was debating the .223 vs. the 22-250 as well and decided to go with the 22-250 mainly due to liking the round a lot more. Its a lot faster than the .223 and I am really looking forward to some long range shooting. Yes the ammo is a little pricier but if you're able to reload then it won't be that big of a difference. Whatever you get I'm sure you will be happy, they're all good rounds.

Mine got here today. I have it bore sited with a Redfield Revenge 4-12x40scope with the accurange system. Unfortunately, my ammo didnt arrive, and the forecast makes me think I wont get it zeroed at 200 yards for another week.

Mine got here today. I have it bore sited with a Redfield Revenge 4-12x40scope with the accurange system. Unfortunately, my ammo didnt arrive, and the forecast makes me think I wont get it zeroed at 200 yards for another week.

How's the weight? Manageable?

With the shortage of ammo now a days I would stay away from the .223. Theres plenty of great choices out there that you won't have to worry about finding ammo. Most have already been mentioned. Don't count out the .243. By far my favorite center fire rifle for dropping those mangy dogs.

The faster the cartridge, the flatter the trajectory; but also the more pelt damage you will have. This is especially true with "varmint" type bullets designed to disintegrate on impact. Hard to find 20 or 22 cal. ammo with anything but varmint bullets. If you reload, you could combine high velocity with a heavier bullet by loading something like .22 Nosler partitions in a 22-250 or a Swift. Other options would be to move up to a .243/6mm (or even a 25/06) and get good speed out of deer weight bullets. It's all good when shootin "song dogs"... :way:

Top Bottom