Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which safety harness

kurtish

I've been using a lineman's belt for the last 15 years for hunting and I've been reluctant to switch over to a harness system. After reading about some close calls and hearing how dangerous the linemans belt is I've decided to bite the bullet and get a harness.

What do you guys use and what would you recommend? I just read another thread about getting set up with a prussic knot connection to the tree for additional room for movement in the stand....is that something that I should consider in the harness that I purchase? I need to get on this pretty quick so I can practice setting it up and wearing it in a tree in the yard. Thanks for any advice you can offer up.

I have the HSS Pro system with the mesh. So far I don't have any real complaints as far as ease of use and actually wearing it. It is super easy to put on that's for sure. The only complaint I had was not enough room to move with just the quick connect strap and the strap on the vest. I think they have this solved now with the prussic knot. I definitely like the mesh opposed to no mesh because it is cooler when it is warmer out. The other ones seemed to keep in heat when it was hot on those early season hunts. I do like that it has pockets. I can easily keep all my strap connections in the pockets so that I don't loose them.

In the winter when there is snow, I attach the deer drag rope to a sled and put all my gear on the sled most of the way to the tree. It works really nice. What I typically do is where it underneath my coveralls then slip the strap out through my neck area. I do like wearing it because one, its safe, and two it keeps all myclothes tight to my body. It seems less bulky.

I guess I just thought of one complaint or more of a nuisance. When its early season and your wearing it on the outside of the clothes if you hold your bow you may hit the cam against the buckle then it can be a little noisy. I see they just came out with something to slip over the the buckles to avoid this.

The HSS is the only one I know so I am sure there are other great ones out there. The Muddy one looks good, but I love the pockets. I am a sucker for storage LOL.

I have used both the Muddy harness and the Summit SOP (seat of the pants). I used to use a lineman's belt and will never go back after using these two models...

I like these two harness systems because they are light and adaptable; they can go on either over your camo or under a heavier jacket. Very easy to get off/on and little tangling.

The life-line system you can make on your own. Learn how to tie a prussic knot (easy; if I can tie one, anyone can :)), buy the rope in bulk and you can rig every stand for about $10.

HSS here, reversible for use during shotgun and lower tier rifle season. I tend to wear lighter clothes during the early fall anyway.

Go somewhere that has several kinds and try on few.
I keep in stock the HSS in several variations, the Body Armour in vest and strap style, the Muddy and several kinds of the SOP from Summitt. Each person seems to like one or the other for various reasons. See what you like, pockets or no pockets, vest or no vest, bino hookups or not, etc. Definitely a life saver over a single strap type - do your family a favor and get one before fall. I also use mine setting stands and sticks as it makes it safer and easier.

Thanks for all of your input! Gunrunr you're probably right about actually trying them on....I tend to be an impulse internet shopper, but I think I'll run to the city this weekend so I can try a few on. Thanks again fellas.

Top Bottom