Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which sights do you prefer?

simplesimon

I have noticed that the majority of the members on this site are hardcore bow hunters. I have been debating whether or not to stick with a sight with multiple pins(20, 30, etc.) or go to a slide sight with just one pin. Several of my hunting buddies use the slide type and really like them. I do like the idea of looking through the peep sight and seeing one pin but I am not crazy on having to move the sight if the deer move closer than what the yardage is set on. I just would not want a bruiser to come in and catch me adjusting my sights. I know it is probably a personal preference but I would still like to get some of your input.

157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

trophy ridge 5 pin matrix. yes, it did bend on me this fall but that's because it hit a tree limb when i fell out of my stand. the entire bow fell 25 feet and hit the limb. great sight.

Yea, I saw the pics of your sights. Glad you were wearing your safety harness! I guess you prefer multiple pins than just one that you adjust. Thanks for the info.

Dirtball

157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

I use a single pin for 3D and adjust for every shot but would never consider using one for hunting. Way too easy to goof up under pressure by setting it wrong or forgetting to change it. I do know lots of people that use one pin fixed at 25 yards with a fast bow and hunt that way. No way to mess up pin selection as long as the deer is within 30 yards. I usually have only two or a max of three pins on my bow for hunting. Discourages the brain from trying to think that as long as I have a 50 yard pin it is alright to take that shot (its not).

I shoot a cosmic impact one pin sight and as said above, i set it at 25 yards dead on. I can then shoot everything pretty much flat from 35 yards and under with no trouble. its an excellent whitetail set up and is very simple. I had no problems what so ever with it last year and found it to be the brightest sight available.
But of course its all personal preferance! Try both types of setups and see what you like.
26404-archer[1].gif

2 fiber optic pins on a dirt cheap cobra sight. Works great. 1 pin for 5-30/35 and the other a 35-40 yarder. Only used the second pin once and really don't want to attempt it again. Killed him good though
grin.gif

Trophy Ridge has a new sight coming out next month that will be the bomb. It's a mover sight, single pin, Gear drive, micro adjust, light kit, pendulum, and you can add a lens to it. It's called the gear drive mantis. It should be a really cool sight.

Couple buddies shoot the Spot-Hogg and that will be my next sight no doubt. Very good quality, which of course costs money
smirk.gif

Toxonics, got it a few weeks ago. Seems to work. The only thing I care about in a sight is that it adjusts easily and is quiet. I like the Harmonic dampner that it has. I wish it had a worm gear like the Spot Hogg. I had a Spot Hogg for a short time but it seemed heavy to me.

I only use 1 pin on my sights. I zero in at 25 yards and from there I make adjustments using the pin as a referance point. I practice a lot using 3-D targets to learn the drop on my arrow. I really like the 1 pin deal but I would not like using an adjustable sight. I'm afraid I would forget to move it when I needed to.

grin.gif
Bow hunters make me laugh. All you need is one pin, like we in the rifle world do. Know your bow and where it hits at what yardage...after that, just hold high or low. A movable sight is great if you need the crutch, but why have all the extra stuff if you don't need it.
893soapbox-thumb[1].gif
'Course, I could be wrong.
cool.gif

Hey muddy...you're still ok with that sight even after it bent like that??

I tried a Impact Archery cosmic single pin this year. Last day of the season I dropped the bow out of the stand 20 feet up. I then decided to leave so I unstrapped the tree stand and lost it. It crashed down right on my bow. The cosmic took a direct hit and still functions today no problems.

I'm sticking with the cosmic.

Tomo

tomo, i mixed and matched from an old trophy ridge sight i had at home. those cosmic sights are quite solid, best single pin sight on the market if you asked me. personally, i can't get used to a single pin sight, it's a muddy thing.
wink.gif
i don't remember much from when i fell but i do know that when my bow sight hit that branch it was spinning one way and after it hit, it was spinning the opposite way. it was a very freak fall i'm sure. if there was one thing i wish could change over the trophy ridges is that the fiber optics were protected more. for a multi pin sight i think trophy ridges are great. single pin sights seem to be more solid in my opinion, not as many part and they can be built like tanks. if you can get used to one go with one.

wow Tomo hope your season got better after that. Don't know how it could get much worse. Luck - not always good.

Both Copper John and Spot-Hoggs are very good sights. If you are on a budget, then the Copper John is for you. I personally use the Spot-Hogg's Hunter Hogg-It. It's expensive, but it's worth the investment. Furthermore, both companies back up their product 100% and have great customer service.

Thanks, Scott

Sage Creek Outfitters

Top Bottom