Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which turkey season are you hunting?

shooter42

What are your thoughts on this unusually warm weather this early in the season? Is this going to have an affect on the turkey hunting later in the season? I was planning on going 4th season but I dont know if that will be as good of an idea with this early warm weather.

They'll typically be gobbling hard well into June anyway on a normal year.. The only thing you'll have to worry about is foliage and bugs. IMO later in the season is actually better because once the hen's start sitting on their nests, the tom's get lonelier by the day and they'll come in a lot better to calling.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I plan on hunting all (Archery).

But that brings up a question with this warm weather. Are turkeys similar to deer and breed at the same time every year no matter what the weather? does it have more to do with the length of days, amount of sunlight?

:eek:
I plan on hunting all (Archery).

But that brings up a question with this warm weather. Are turkeys similar to deer and breed at the same time every year no matter what the weather? does it have more to do with the length of days, amount of sunlight?

Wapsi,

That is what I have been told.

Yes there will be some breeding going on like mid October deer sometimes.

I do notice a lot of birds still are in their winter flocks. Which is good.

If not I think we would be done with the season and breeding by the end of April with this weather.

BTW - I plan on hunting all the seasons from youth until May 20th.

The breeding phase should relate more to the sun and the amount of daylight (photoperiodism) rather than the warmth, but I am sure their more in the mood than if it was in the 40's :)

I agree with others though in that some fields may green up and get tall fast and that can change their patterns sooner that I would like, plus ticks etc.

But green fields (clover or ag fields) will be great late IMO.

Gonna hit South Dakota the first week of April. Then back in Iowa and first season for me, second for my wife, 3rd for a buddy, and I'll be back at it 4th season. Hope to pile em high this year.

I was going to hit Wyoming this year, but it just wasn't in the cards. Gotta love them unexpected bills :thrwrck:

I really don't think we'll see much of a difference in breeding activity as its a time of year thing. The one thing I do have a concern about is heat... I hope it cools down again for April and it can heat up again for 4th season for all I care. But hot weather seems to shut down the midday activity as far as I'm concerned, plus I'm not to excited about hunting in a buckskin, which is what I like to do when it gets hot... :grin:

Going bow. The woods are already greener than most 1st seasons. It will be a crazy time I am sure. Makes me glad I will be sitting out in the middle of a field somewhere. The birds sure are going crazy. Strutters everywhere but they still seem to be in their winter groups so that is good. It is pretty cool seeing 6 or 7 toms in a group strutting right now. Sure gets the blood pumping!!

I'm going bow but I'm thinking its going to be extra difficult this year especially if the the temps are still high. The woods are going to be a sticky mess. Contemplated just getting a 1st and 4th gun tag but went with the 2 archery tags instead. We'll see what happens.

Gunny good point.

My only question is if that was the case when
did they lay them last year? There were cool temps most of the year.

Actually, in SE Iowa we have had 4 out of the last 5 years be cool/wet springs and believe me, there are FAR FEWER turks in the woods now than 5 years ago. I figured that the frequent rains would limit nesting success because of poults getting wet and cold, etc. But I wonder if the hens lay fewer eggs or fewer of them hatch, etc, during an unseasonably cold spring. Hmmm.

Maybe there is a "double whammy" with the cooler, wetter springs than just killing the little poults.

Actually, in SE Iowa we have had 4 out of the last 5 years be cool/wet springs and believe me, there are FAR FEWER turks in the woods now than 5 years ago. I figured that the frequent rains would limit nesting success because of poults getting wet and cold, etc. But I wonder if the hens lay fewer eggs or fewer of them hatch, etc, during an unseasonably cold spring. Hmmm.

Maybe there is a "double whammy" with the cooler, wetter springs than just killing the little poults.

Might be some truth to that but in far NE Iowa we are usually 10 degrees
colder than Southern Iowa.
Our population is still pretty good up there.

Top Bottom