Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

White clover prices

skyleralan

PMA Member
Anyone price white clovers lately? Seems a lot higher than same time last year. Got quoted some prices and couldn't believe it.

If I remember right the local seed store where I get some of my clover, Ladino was like 3.91? think medium red was like 2.15

Been a couple weeks some im sure the closer we get to spring prices might jump a bit

Berseem was my shocker this year. And it does vary from place to place but my ONE SOURCE had like a 100% increase. That used to be about the cheapest clover to buy.

Some tips for you guys on your clover, maximizing the bang for the buck......

1) Pick your areas that you plan on leaving to clover. Seed those heavier with a variety of whites, your better clovers and others as well & do it at a higher rate so it really comes in thick. The areas you are going to keep year to year, sure- go with higher priced if it's a desireable clover. My perfect patch if $ no object (and really, it shouldn't be because in ONE location, among many others around farms, it's only gonna be 1/4 to 1/2 acre in clover at end of day anyways that I don't work in with disc).... 3 Varieties of white such as: Kopu II, Ladino, Alice White, Durana, Pinnacle Ladino, etc, etc. + red + alsike (especially on wetter soil) + if planting in spring I'll do 1-3 of the annual clovers: Balansa, Berseem & Crimson. Of the annuals, I am phasing out Berseem due to cost most likely. Balansa does great in wetter soils, fyi (or regular as well). Crimson is a go-to N builder & deer like it & it's CHEAP!

2) Disc in plots.... I'll still do some whites, I just lower the rates since I'm going to disc them in later and not a fan of discing up clover that was $4/lbs. If I'm for sure discing later, the little white I do, I'll add red (cheapest I can find), Balansa & Crimson.

Obviously for all these, you can add oats if doing spring planting. Annuals you cannot do frost seeding, fyi. Innoculate if able (helps plants build more N you will utilize later). Areas you have your permanent or "semi-permanent" clover locations.... Mine for example are areas: I don't want to disc (erodible), areas next to timber where crops don't do as well, little interior plots, parts of my clover seeding in spring that did the best so I kept those, etc..... Each late winter/early spring, I frost seed those long term plots with my favorite clovers.

**wet soils period (for some reason lot of guys ask about that).... White clovers, Alsike & Balansa.

Sorry on the extra info, just started rolling & forgot to stop. Good luck!

Going to frost seed more oats this year see how it turns out. Getting the best price locally on ladino so will probably go heavy on it vs other whites.

Top Bottom