Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

White deer

Old Buck

Life Member
One thing I love about being outdoors is seeing things I've never seen before.

Tuesday I was at Springbrook giving a slide show on bowhunting Africa to the Iowa DNR Fisheries staff. That was the day with all the snow. Afterwards I drove around the park looking for deer.

It seemed like I wasn't spotting nearly as many deer there as I usually do. I expected to see lots of them bedding out the storm. Finally I saw a white silhouette of a bedded doe near a downfall. Then I noticed about 6 more looking the same.

The snow was sticking to their hair so well that about the only things not white were their eyes and nose. Under the jaw and around the throat patch you could see a little brown hair with binoculars. Other than that they were all white.

It was really a strange sight to see all these 'white deer' just 50 yards off the road. At another location a different group was feeding in the snowstorm but they must have kept shaking the snow off because they looked perfectly normal.

The bad news, I actually went to Springbrook, in a snow storm, and didn't remember to take either my video or my 35mm! I've got great images, but they are all in my mind.

Old Buck

I had the opportunity this year to see another type of white deer. It was the first week of October, I was hunting down in Missouri and a large doe and two fawns materialized out of the drainage ditch and one of the fawns was an albino. Like you, I elected to not take my video camera hunting that day as I normally do. The imprint of the moment is like a film negative in my mind but can only share a story rather than a photo. Still one of my most memorable moments on the bowstand....S220

Top Bottom