Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

White Deer

tracker

Life Member
I think this subject was discussed last year, are the white deer that are not albino protected?

...if memory serves me right any deer that is mostly white (more than 50%) is off-limits here in Iowa...dumb law
cussing.gif

That is dumb!!! Albino deer generally have spinal problems and other genetic problems, and to protect them just because they are pretty what a joke! By protecting them your state is insuring that these deer with poor genetics thrive>

Yes, there is a doe that is running around.It is not albino though, it ran within 5 feet of someone the other day and they were looking at the eyes when it went past.It is near a farm that I have a trail camera on.Hopefully have some pictures of it on film.Might move the video system to see if I can capture some live footage.There was a dog that was chasing after it yesterday, probably hard to blend in till the snow comes.What is the life expectancy of these deer?Isn't there something wrong with the body or skin that makes them change to this color??

.I believe it is a non-dominate chromosome the parents potentialy carry. The parents my be normal colored and give birth to a pie baled deer because of the non-dominate chromosome. I have seen a doe with one fawn normal and the other 95% white.

I live and hunt in South Dakota. I was archery hnting turkeys this Spring and a bachelor group of nine buck came within 25 yrds of my blind and one of them was a pibold buck. He had a white blaze across his nose and many large white spots on his sides and legs. He was a 4 x 4 in velvet but still had plenty of time to grow until this fall. They are neat looking but they do have physical problems that you don't want genetically passed on. I tried to video tape him but of coarse my battery was dead. That was the first and only time I have ever seen a pibald deer.
laugh.gif

There was a albino doe on our hunting ground during the late 80's early 90's....she became famous in the area and was photographed a lot. I think she lived 6 or 8 years. She was found almost immediately when she died and she now resides in a climate controlled gazebo in St. Ansgar Iowa. I think it's o.k. to protect such a rare animal
shrug[1].gif

Yep, the last 15 or so years that predominately white deer have been protected in Iowa has pretty much destroyed the quality of our herd
grin.gif

DOT found a white doe dead along the HWY nearby recently. I think the county cons board is trying to have it mounted for display.

I think it would be neat to actually see one.

Thought I did once in my early days before they were illegal to shoot, but it turned out to be a goat that was running loose. Good thing I did not drag that back to town.....
jester.gif

I hunt an are that has some deer with more white marking on them then nornal. It's not like a piebald or elbino. More white on the legs,tail,chest,ect. It seems to be getting more common then fading. Hey look at the huge Scenica deer. They dont look genetically challenged to me. I agree with killing the elbinos, but this is somthing else.

Top Bottom