Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

White Hen

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

Cooter

I've been seeing a couple of white hens so I took the camera a long to see if I could get some pics. Here is what I got sorry grainy but here they are.

3501-white_hen_1.jpg

3501-white_hen_2.jpg

3501-white_hen_3.jpg

3501-white_hen_4.jpg

Those are neat!

Neat indeed... though I've been told that those color phases can either be the result of genetics OR inbreeding. Evidently inbreeding in our turkey populations is more of a problem than one would think. But entirely possible when one remembers that most of our turkey populations started out with just a few strategically placed transplants, since it wasn't that long ago that we barely had turkeys at all.

Very cool pics regardless of what caused it! I've never seen a white turkey. :way:

Neat pics. Those look to be "wild" domesticated hens. I icefish at a farm where the guy has all colors of turkeys. They don't leave his farm but a wild Eastern hen has visited the last 2 springs to get with a black & white tom. I yet to see any of her young.

Here's a link to some colors of turkeys. http://www.cacklehatchery.com/turkeypage.html#rp

That's pretty cool. I took a hen just like that, although maybe a bit darker, a year ago last fall with my bow. She's at the taxidermist as we speak.

-Longspurs-

Neat pics. Those look to be "wild" domesticated hens. I icefish at a farm where the guy has all colors of turkeys. They don't leave his farm but a wild Eastern hen has visited the last 2 springs to get with a black & white tom. I yet to see any of her young.

Here's a link to some colors of turkeys. http://www.cacklehatchery.com/turkeypage.html#rp

That's the other thing I meant to say. Could be a wild turkey/domesticated offspring...

I hear it some times caused by a deficiency in thier diet. I could be way wrong.

The other white hen that was with this flock the past two days only made a brief show and I got no pics of her, she is more chocolate with white wings.

That's pretty cool.. I notice you are from the Muscatine area. I'm from Wilton. I saw a hen like that, maybe a little darker, about 10 yrs ago about 7 or 8 miles north of Muscatine.. So, I guess the genetics are definately in the area. I've also heard of a whiteish tom in the same area.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom