Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whitetail Cover

Hello, I have a question about planting some trees or shrubs on my property. I own about 20 acres in West-Central Iowa, it is about 50/50 between timber and cropland. I am looking to take maybe an acre or two and make it a whitetail sanctuary and create bedding cover. Most of the deer bed on my neighbor's property because he has mostly timber and it is very tangled and overgrown, whereas my timber is mostly mature and doesn't have a ton of young growth. Is there some kind of trees or shrubs I can plant that would make good cover to get them to bed on my place? I would prefer something that grows fast and is somewhat shade tolerant. Also, I know I do not have a lot of property but I figure doing something is better than nothing. Does anyone have any other suggestions for someone with so little land? Thanks.

Can you do some TSI on the timber to make your side more attractive? Also, I would go with some shrub dogwoods (silky/grey depending on how dry the soil is) hazelnuts, a viburnum or two and some wild plums.

Bucks love to bed in wild plum thickets when the pressure is on in my area.

When is the best time to plant trees? Spring I assume? I think what I am going to do is take aside about 2 or 3 acres on the South side of the property and hinge cut a bunch of the little junk pencil like trees that have overgrown it and plant some of the trees you suggested in there. This will serve as a thick bedding area 'sanctuary'. There is also a very good bench on a ridge between the ag field and this area so it ought to make for good hunting.

I like a fall planting, but its super dry here which is not a good time unless you can water them good when planting....and if it stays dry.

The earliest in the spring you can plant, the better and is my 2nd favorite time to plant. Luckily for you, the IA State Nursery sells in-state during the fall so you have either option.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
2 acres

After the past week, I am getting to be a much bigger fan of switchgrass. The switch in MN is head tall on my property and there are bucks bedding in it, a couple of 3 year old bucks with good racks and a few smaller ones.

Being that you are from Iowa, you will have thicker and possibly taller switch if managed correctly and the result will be a great bedding area, nice diversity.

I also like letemgo's ideas of shrubs, create a screen or bedding area...I might add that you could plant some spruce, cedar or pin or shingle oaks, for late season leaf cover.

Switchgrass is great wildlife cover! TSI is one of our favorite as well but make sure you know what you are cutting. But these two are the things that have helped us improve our cover the most.

Top Bottom