Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whitetail Institute products

jmm46

How many of you guys use the Whitetail Institute's products?? I'm looking at getting the clover (50lb bag, plants 6 acres) for $209. Is this a decent price?

Iam a Whitetail institute Dealer and they dont have a 50lb Bag They have it in a 25lb bag and it is Priced at 134.99 if they really do have 50lbs for 209 That is Cheaper than I would Be able to buy it for at dealer cost. Better check it out first.

They do have a 50lb bag i stand corrected but $209 is very Cheap Better check the Test date on the Back Could be old Supply they Have.

Do you recommend clover, Chicory plus, alfa-rack plus or powerplant, or winter green?? I am located in SE MN, soil is good, plot is going in place of an old set-aside field so sunlight will be abundant. I am limited on equipment. I'm going to spray round up with a back-pack sprayer, farmer is going to plow up soil. I have a push behind fertilizer/seeder. I basically want the plot to be a late season/winter food source. The field is approx. 10-12 acres. Or should I plant a variety?? Open for suggestions?? What's the best winter food source that actually lasts into the winter(pound for pound or should I say plant for plant)?? Corn, soybeans, clover, turnups??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Osenbaugh's</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iam a Whitetail institute Dealer and they dont have a 50lb Bag They have it in a 25lb bag and it is Priced at 134.99 if they really do have 50lbs for 209 That is Cheaper than I would Be able to buy it for at dealer cost. Better check it out first. </div></div>

Just curious, but what makes this clover so much better, more expensive, than just buying bulk clover seed?

I mean you can buy good clover seed all day long for $1 to $3.50 a pound depending on the clover variety.

It's offered in there Whitetail News magazine..offer good till June 1st?? so would that be old seed they are trying to get rid of??

Ghost to ansewer your question Imperial Clover is Specifically Designed strain of clovers that will provide optimal nutrition throughout the year imperial clover is higher in protein 35% where your bulk clovers are 15-20% protein is what grows bucks and racks.It is also heat and drought resistant making an excellent choice for southern to nourthern regions.

Jmm46 Clover, Chicory plus, and Alfa-Rack These are Perennials that will last for 3-5yrs Where Wintergreens,Power plant,no plow are annuals that last 6-9 months To have more Diverse food Plot i would Put a Perennial i a bigger area and use an Annual in Your Smaller areas along with 30-06 Mineral Vitamin These will all work in your neck of the woods

Another Thing i Recommend is Cave In Rock Switchgrass Which will give you good cover stands 6ft tall and i very thick I carry a full line of Native Grasses and Wildflowers.

Thanks...not real sure about the protien level part of things, but I do understand the drought resistance.

I like to mix lots of varieties to cover most of the extreme conditions a plot would encounter throughout the year. Maybe this isn't the best approach but I have had great luck going into my 4th year.

My plot is a mix of Kopu II White Clover, Jumbo Ladino Clover, Prestige White Clover, Alsike, Alice White, and Chicory.

Ghost,
Is that mix all in one plot?? And approx. how much do you have invested in that seed mix per pound or acre??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmm46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ghost,
Is that mix all in one plot?? And approx. how much do you have invested in that seed mix per pound or acre?? </div></div>

Yes, that mix is all in this one plot. Can't really tell you a dollar amount specifically, but the seed costs range from $1 a pound for Alsike to $4 a pound for some of the longer lived clover varieties.

If your just starting a plot, I would go heavy on the seed coverage at around 10 pounds per acre. Most important, get your soil PH corrected right away with plenty of Lime. The closer you can get to a PH of 7 the better. People that skip the soil test and PH factor are usually disappointed with their results.

All I do now is overseed/frost seed every March and keep the grass and weeds controlled with mowing. Think I mowed at least 5 times last year.

I'm sure Whitetail Institute has great products, I just don't see paying for all the fancy packaging and advertisement.

Good Luck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

8372007clover1.JPG

Does it last into the winter? Do the deer seem to perfer it as a winter food source or is Corn/soybean a better idea??

I was told that clover was pretty much finished after the first few hard frosts.....I found out different.

They will be scraping snow away to get at the clover once you get a well established plot.

No doubt, nothing will compete with standing corn or standing beans late into the winter. Most corn and bean plots I have seen were totally wiped out by that time of year though.

Depending on your deer density, you have to plant a ton of corn for it to last into late Winter. And, the problem with that is the cost of corn/bean seed and all that goes with planting it.

Then, you let deer eat $5.00 a bushel corn...not many people can afford that for a food plot.

Clover is pretty easy/cheap to put in, it last well, and is easy to maintain year to year.

Lots of plot ideas out there, but clover seems to fit my bill.

If I had 10 to 12 acres to mess with like you do, I would put some in clover, some in Winter wheat, some in corn, some in turnips, some in....you get the idea. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Food for every season...

Thanks for the info!

By the way your icon picture is awesome. Is that a trail cam picture or a pen deer or picture out of the kitchen window?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
jmm46 said:
All I do now is overseed/frost seed every March and keep the grass and weeds controlled with mowing. Think I mowed at least 5 times last year.
</div></div>

What do you mean by overseed/frost seed every March??

I just mean to spread more seed every March when the ground is freezing at night and thawing during the day. This freezing/thawing action of the soil works the seed into the soil.

It a great way to seed without having to re-work the soil in a plot that is already well established. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

The clover amazing this year stayed green through out the season and was green when the snow finally left! Deer absolutely love it.

Also, don't cut corners on field prep otherwise you will be fighting grass and other undesirables forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks...not real sure about the protien level part of things, but I do understand the drought resistance.

I like to mix lots of varieties to cover most of the extreme conditions a plot would encounter throughout the year. Maybe this isn't the best approach but I have had great luck going into my 4th year.

My plot is a mix of Kopu II White Clover, Jumbo Ladino Clover, Prestige White Clover, Alsike, Alice White, and Chicory.

</div></div>

The mix that Ghost has planted has worked extremely well for me also except I have not planted much alsike.

I would urge anyone who is interested in planting clover and trying to understand which clovers might work best for them, to read thru our Clover thread to see many different varieties of white and red clovers being tested and compared in ongoing comparisons.

There is no one perfect clover or food plot for that matter, nor is there one perfect seed distributor. We have plenty of seed and seed salesmen to choose from and we try to give all a fair shot here.

I'm afraid Ghost and I are cut from the same mold (boy that is a scary thought... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )I can't see spending a boat load of money for anything I can't justify...and top quality well tested white clover seed such as Alice White Clover is hard to beat.

I can see that I need to check on the cost of forage/protien testing and do some comparing of my own. No offense to the fine people at WI but I suspect that cattlemen the world over would be planting nothing but Imperial clover if it was in fact 10% higher in protien then clovers such as Alice... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom