Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whitetails the way of the pheasants

I think part of the issue is what everyone is saying. Some areas have plenty of deer and others do not. It would be nice if we could all have good number where we hunt. I know on the public I hunt I see quite a few less deer than back North, but part of that is due to not scouting as much this year as I would have liked. I still see deer, just not as many as I see back home.

I really like the topic, and every topic for that matter that is shedding light on the fact that the deer population in Iowa has stooped to an all time low! Its too bad DNR officials don't read and carefully regard the posts on Iowa Whitetail!

That lady caller who you are refering to is EXACTLY the type of uninformed person who is being heard instead of true wildlife enthusiasts like deer hunters. My own grandmother argued with me over thanksgiving about the deer numbers being high. Most people just love to complain about something!

The other half of this story is the advice offered by previous posts. Just because the antlerless quotas are there does not mean they need to be filled!

Like a good buddy of mine always says "No one drop of rain ever thinks they are responsible for the flood"

make sure the DNR in your area, and your state representatives are also hearing your complaints. "preaching to the choir" will do nothing. one of the factors in setting antlerless quotas is input from hunters. if you aren't seeing enough deer, tell them. if the hear the same thing from enough people in the same area, they should lower antlerless quotas, wich will let the herd numbers rise. it won't happen over night, so some patience will be needed.

Preaching to the choir does not not Quite fit here does it ? We got alot of IBA people, board members on here! Pssst! This would be why we pay IBA dues!! Not just for the Corn on the cob and Novelty shoots!! :(

I really like the topic, and every topic for that matter that is shedding light on the fact that the deer population in Iowa has stooped to an all time low!

Well, I have a 95 year old neighbor who would beg to differ with that assessment.

I don't think there is any correlation between the pheasant decline and the present status of the deer herd. If you stopped hunting rooster pheasants, would the population suddenly rebound? No, it's more a function of loss of habitat, increase of predators and bad weather that is hurting the pheasant population.

I'd venture that tons more private landowner dollars are being spent on improving whitetail habitat than on pheasant cover, just a gut feeling on my part. I base that statement on my observation that the commercialization of hunting in Iowa has shifted from pheasants to deer. And when the deer herd was so large, rightfully so. I basically switched from being an avid pheasant hunter to a deer hunter at that time. It's human nature to go for the higher reward.

If the liberal bag limits on deer are lifted, they will be back. They can live in marginal habitats. I doubt the pheasants will see such a recovery without a serious CRP program. The price of grain pretty much assures that there will be no agricultural programs that idle land. Just my opinion.

The price of grain pretty much assures that there will be no agricultural programs that idle land. Just my opinion.

Actually, this year CRP programs offered more dollars per acre than any other year. I know multiple people getting 200 plus an acre for CRP. Problem is, it is not pheasant friendly CRP, too much brome grass in the mix.

Well, I have a 95 year old neighbor who would beg to differ with that assessment.

I don't think there is any correlation between the pheasant decline and the present status of the deer herd. If you stopped hunting rooster pheasants, would the population suddenly rebound? No, it's more a function of loss of habitat, increase of predators and bad weather that is hurting the pheasant population.

I'd venture that tons more private landowner dollars are being spent on improving whitetail habitat than on pheasant cover, just a gut feeling on my part. I base that statement on my observation that the commercialization of hunting in Iowa has shifted from pheasants to deer. And when the deer herd was so large, rightfully so. I basically switched from being an avid pheasant hunter to a deer hunter at that time. It's human nature to go for the higher reward.

If the liberal bag limits on deer are lifted, they will be back. They can live in marginal habitats. I doubt the pheasants will see such a recovery without a serious CRP program. The price of grain pretty much assures that there will be no agricultural programs that idle land. Just my opinion.

HMMM! Lets see! How long does it take to GROW a cock pheasant? How long does it take to grow a P&Y buck? You can have habitat blowing outta your ass! Ya gotta buncha deer hunters shooting off 2.5 year old bucks........They ain't getting any bigger!!!!! Your name would'nt be Branstead! Would it?????????

Last edited:
Deer are in pockets ,over all numbers are down . Lates face it pheasant come back will take years in southern Iowa . Really hate the Iinsurance cos telling the state how to run the deer harvest. I seen one bunch shoot a pickup load of deer dump them in ditches and go again . If something isn't done with the over use of doe tags Iowa is headed back down the road for a deer herd like we had in the 1970s .

Guys be careful. Don't go the way of Pennsylvania. Those who set license allocations play on if we give them a tag they will fill it premise. In PA they increased the doe tag allocation and everyone jumped in with the, " if I don't shoot it someone else will mentality". Ten years later PA deer populations are in the dumper. If you have no girls you have no little ones, and no girls for the big boys to chase. I like QDMA but I sometimes believe its an arm of the insurance companies. You shoot one adult doe you are really shooting three. Refrain from all the bonus seasons and take only what you believe is necessary for your land.

Just like anything it's finding that balance. The problem is the balance for a herd that satisfies a hunters on stand observations, or a herd that supports the best opportunity for bucks to mature with the right amount of stress to reach their fullest potential, and the herd that satisfies the farmers, insurance companies, and the general public will all be different or may never exist. Then on to the pheasents 3 years after planting 26 acres of switch grass I have kicked 1 pheasent out of it. This is in South Central Iowa. Sad if you ask me. Predators are thick and the hawks grid it with precision but I figured it would fill up quickly with that much cover.

Guys be careful. Don't go the way of Pennsylvania. Those who set license allocations play on if we give them a tag they will fill it premise. In PA they increased the doe tag allocation and everyone jumped in with the, " if I don't shoot it someone else will mentality". Ten years later PA deer populations are in the dumper. If you have no girls you have no little ones, and no girls for the big boys to chase. I like QDMA but I sometimes believe its an arm of the insurance companies. You shoot one adult doe you are really shooting three. Refrain from all the bonus seasons and take only what you believe is necessary for your land.

:way: I harvest very few does on my 140 acres and I do not see the population growing much, actually I think there are less than the last few years. I'm seeing some mature does with 1 or 0 yearlings the last few years making me think they abort them during the hard winter or lose them after born. I haven't found any carcasses in a number of years so aborting them to survive seems possible.

Last edited:
Read this last night. There are definetly less deer, even the DNR agrees.

Deer population falls across Iowa

By Orlan Love The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

(MCT) — With the first of Iowa’s two shotgun deer seasons set to open Saturday, the state’s deer population is down an estimated 10 percent from a year ago and down almost 29 percent from its peak in 2006, according to the state agency tasked with managing the herd.
“Deer populations for the state as a whole are declining after displaying strong growth for almost a decade,” said Department of Natural Resources deer biologist Tom Litchfield.
This year’s harvest, which Litchfield projects at about 4 percent lower than last year’s, will likely mark the fifth-straight decline after seven-straight record harvests.
The decline, he said, is attributable almost entirely to “dramatically increased harvest pressure” on does since 2003.
In more than half of Iowa’s 99 counties, deer populations are at or below the mid-to-late-1990s level that the Department of Natural Resources has adopted as its target, Litchfield said.
The entire Iowa deer herd is expected to return to that level by 2012, though there will be isolated hot spots that will require additional attention, Litchfield said.
Jasper County’s State Sen. Dennis Black, a longtime leading member of the Natural Resources Committee, credits the cooperative attitude of hunters for the success of the deer control effort.
Iowa hunters, who had long been accustomed to targeting bucks, shifted their attention to does when they realized that the health of the herd was at stake, Black said.
While motorists and farmers no doubt appreciate the Legislature mandated reduction, many hunters already believe it has gone too far.
“The deer herd is way down. I’ve been hearing more hunter complaints than ever,” said Tim Powers of Lisbon, Iowa field director for Whitetails Un limited. “In my opinion, we really need to cut back on the doe tags,” said Randy Taylor of Reasnor, former president of the Iowa Bowhunters Association.
Though the DNR has yet to take its foot off the doe-harvest accelerator, hunter pressure on does has been geographically adjusted this year and will be substantially relieved next year, Litchfield said.
This year, antlerless deer quotas were reduced in 14 counties and eliminated in five others, but with increases in eight counties that still have too many deer, the overall statewide quota for antlerless deer increased by 1,300 to a record-high 132,900.
According to DNR estimates, which are based on harvest and deer-vehicle collision statistics and aerial and spotlight surveys, the state in 2006 was home to 630,000 deer at the start of that year’s hunting seasons. The comparable number this year, Litchfield said, was 450,000.
The herd’s reduction can be traced in harvest statistics, which have fallen from 211,451 deer in 2005 to 136,504 last year.
The DNR cautions, however, that its pre-2006 harvest statistics, which were based on postcard survey data, are not directly comparable with those compiled after the DNR went to direct reporting with the implementation of its electronic licensing system. While the postcard survey estimates tended to inflate hunter success, the new system understates the actual harvest because many hunters do not comply with the reporting requirement.
The herd’s reduction, Litchfield said, is also reflected in a declining number of deer depredation tags issued to farmers and specialty growers and in the number of deer-vehicle collisions per 1 billion miles driven on Iowa’s rural highways.
That number peaked at 803 in 2004 and declined rather steadily to 602 in 2008, before spiking to 726 last year, according to Department of Transportation statistics.
Litchfield said the overall trend of road kills ‘has been slowly declining as the deer population declines, but the relationship between these two variables has never been directly linear.’ Cedar Rapids auto body shops consulted for this story said they have observed no decline in business associated with deer-vehicle collisions.
Although the shrinking deer herd has not yet affected the number of deer licenses sold — last year’s 405,547 was down just slightly from the preceding year’s 406,169 — it eventually will, Litchfield said.

Yesterday I saw a doe and 2 fawns. They were bed down next to a cement barrier under some trees along I-380 in Cedar Rapids near the 29th Street Exit. Deer know where they are safe in residential areas and areas we cannot hunt.

Deer crossing the road to get from their bed down site to food there is going to be the chance for collision. One prime example is I-380 between Tower Terrace Overpass and Toddville Exit. Corn or Beans on both sides of the interstate, lots of bed down areas and since it can only be hunted with bow, it has a huge deer population. There should be a high fence on both sides along that whole streech.

I seen one bunch shoot a pickup load of deer dump them in ditches and go again .

I butcher and eat every deer I shoot. I typically need about 6 deer to make it through the year as I give some of the meat to the landowner who allows me to hunt. I question why some hunters shoot deer and just donate them to H.U.S.H. I say if you are not going to eat the deer dont shoot it. I dont want someone shooting the deer and giving it to me, I want to shoot my own.

heres my opinion on the whole subject matter....plain and simple! the DNR (Department of Natural Retards) needs to simply base their "knowledge" if there is any on how may tags the state issues on how our winters play out and how bad the weather is. i dont know about you all but i have never found so many dead deer like i did shed hunting this year..plain and simple this winter was absolutly terrible on our wildlife period!! and people wonder y we arnt seein the pheasents...in my opinon that season should have been closed this year no questions asked! if our winters are bad and the whitetail is having a terrible time finding food and they are dyning...because lets face it the iowa herd took a huge hit this last winter. tags should be limited when seasons take a tole on the deer or whatever game it is....if the dnr isnt careful the hole they have already dug will be so deep they will never see the light..... the way they count and "keep a tally" on the deer herd is bullshit...my point of view...things need to change but finding someone who will fight for deer in a state full buisness suits and farmers is few and far between. if there was something i could believe me id be fightin all day.

heres my opinion on the whole subject matter....plain and simple! the DNR (Department of Natural Retards) needs to simply base their "knowledge" if there is any on how may tags the state issues on how our winters play out and how bad the weather is. i dont know about you all but i have never found so many dead deer like i did shed hunting this year..plain and simple this winter was absolutly terrible on our wildlife period!! and people wonder y we arnt seein the pheasents...in my opinon that season should have been closed this year no questions asked! if our winters are bad and the whitetail is having a terrible time finding food and they are dyning...because lets face it the iowa herd took a huge hit this last winter. tags should be limited when seasons take a tole on the deer or whatever game it is....if the dnr isnt careful the hole they have already dug will be so deep they will never see the light..... the way they count and "keep a tally" on the deer herd is bullshit...my point of view...things need to change but finding someone who will fight for deer in a state full buisness suits and farmers is few and far between. if there was something i could believe me id be fightin all day.

I'm not defending the DNR but the DNR sets the limits but the hunters harvest the deer. The limits are only a part of the cause for our shrinking deer herd. I think there are plenty of groups and bow hunters that harvest well more than they need. I'm not saying they don't eat what they kill but they kill maybe more than they need. There has been so much talk the last 10+ years from the DNR to hunting show's about buck to doe ratio that its taken its toll. If a doe typically has 50% doe to bucks then there will be less of both. Hunters need to play a role in both sides of conservation, harvesting more when needed and less when numbers go down no matter what the DNR is doing.

Though the DNR has yet to take its foot off the doe-harvest accelerator, hunter pressure on does has been geographically adjusted this year and will be substantially relieved next year, Litchfield said.

Sounds like the number or antlerless tags will go down next year.
I could of sworn that I had once read somewhere that the DNR's goal was to get the herd size down the where it would equal out to be four deer or something per square mile. I'm not sure where that came from but I am certain I read that somewhere. I can tell you if that happens that there will not be to many hunters left.

"I'm not defending the DNR but the DNR sets the limits but the hunters harvest the deer."

Gotta agree with that statement and also confess that I have killed a couple of deer over the past few seasons that I did not need to shoot. However, this seasons anterless tag was bought with the intention of not filling it (and it has not been filled yet). Good points stated on many of the posts in this thread.

If you guys are really concerned about Iowa's deer herd you need to look at what has taken place in Wisconsin. The DNR in Wisconsin has lost the trust of most people. Make your voices heard now!

I may have been a little dramatic with the "All time low" statement, but honestly its the lowest in North Central Iowa in a decade.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in worrying about the deer population's demise. There are a million things greater to worry about in the world, but for the die-hards in this great state its probably something that crosses most of our minds daily. Hopefully our voices are eventually heard.

If people are skeptical about he deer population decrease, just ask a taxidermist who makes his living from Iowa's wildlife. Unless they are high profile, I would bet the bank the majority of guys are seeing less and less deer brought into their studios every year.

Top Bottom