Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Who hunts from the ground on public land.

dac

Would like to here some pros or cons on ground hunting vs treestand hunting on public ground. Also anybody that has pics of bucks taken from the ground please post them up. I always admire those that can get it done on the ground once I get out of a treestand my confidence goes way down.

I don't hunt off the ground but these are the issues I see. One it is hard to have same day set ups when ground blind hunting. If you have the time to really brush it in then it can work but just popping up a ground blind in the timber doesn't work very well unless you can leave it.

The next problem is if you leave it, it may grow legs and walk away.

You could set up some natural ground blinds in different areas for different winds that could work but then you have to worry about other people hunting your blinds.

Another issue could be safety. I know a few areas where groups of "SQUIRREL HUNTERS" using high powers come strolling through the woods and shoot at everything that moves. I would be a little leary in some areas. Granted up in a tree may not be better but at least you would be up in the air and could probably see them better.

Last year I was hunting my grandpas farm and it was extremely windy. The tree I was in was very small and I chickened out after about an hour of hanging on. It is about the crappiest tree I ever hunted. I walked down to a dried up creek bed where there was a fallen log and then right on the bank there was three 12 inch diameter trees growing about 2 feet apart so it made a great natural blind. I had two 120 inch 8 pointers walk right by without noticing anything at 15 yards. It was very exciting and I think it would be a blast to take a good buck off the ground with a bow.

Top Bottom