Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Who,,is still DRY?

loneranger

Nat Weahter Service said Numerous T-Storms Sat afternoon acoss SE Iowa. Well, I quick got my winter wheat seed raked in and waited. One cell passed well to the north all by it's lonesome,,and then in the eve I got some light rain amounted to,,maybe 1/4 inch,if you stretched it. Along I-80 all Friday night and Sat morn it poured for hrs once again. This has gone on for 3 months now. Never thought you could not get enough moisture to germinate some winter wheat in Iowa,,but I have learned something.

We received a little over an inch here In Fairfield on Saturday. Surely you received some rain early in the week. It rained here for 3 1/2 hrs, covered pretty much all southern Iowa.

We finally got wet for I think the 2nd time in about 5 weeks. The previous time barely made the sidewalk wet but Saturday I'd guess at least 1.5 to 2 inches of rain. Yard needed it.

Where is your ground? I thought you said once it was around Ottumwa. Precip map shows pretty much everyone in S to SE iowa getting at least an inch. We have got almost two inches in the last two storms by Ft Madison.

Well I'm glad Ft Madison got that much, I see Burlington and over in Ill, was very dry! I know the storm Sat,,,, I was out raking my seed in. I watched it go along highway 34. I have a friend farms up there along 34 and highway 16. He got .8 Sat afternoon. It stayed north of me..obviously ran across to Fairfield too. My land is just north of Eldon. It was a small cell on radar. Earlier in the week I know we got an inch on my land,,but by the time I got down there friday ,you could hardly tell it had rained,been dry so long. The widespread storms and rain went on all friday night along I-80. Was still going on up there Sat morning on radar. Neighbor was up at Iowa city Sat morn picking his wife up from Hospital, said it poured all morning. I am thankful for what I got but an inch in two months not gonna do much. I reside up at Madird North of DesMoines,go back and forth,, and we have gotten weekly inch rains all summer up there., Would have some nice plots up here. Don't own land up here.Clover that looked beautiful June down Eldon,,now hard to find a leaf.

My ground is probably only 5 miles, if that, from Lone Ranger and although we did get some rain over the past few days, YAY!, it is still bone dry. I tried today to copy 6x6's fake rub tree gig and I about killed myself trying to auger a couple of holes in the dirt, or shall I say CONCRETE! :grin:

I could dig maybe 12"-18" and then I would fill the hole with water, leave, come back in an hour or so and then go another 12" or so. I got one hole about 2-1/2 feet deep and the other probably only 20". There was a nice rain, but things are still way dry!

Where is your ground? I thought you said once it was around Ottumwa. Precip map shows pretty much everyone in S to SE iowa getting at least an inch. We have got almost two inches in the last two storms by Ft Madison.

I got 6/10 Fred.........bone dry is an understatement!

You guys are right. After checking the weather service rainfall maps from the weekend, I can see my little spot was missed on about all sides. Guess I have the last dry spot left in Iowa. Only dry weahter seen ahead too.

I feel your pain brother did the same thing at my place after I planted my winter greens in mid July. There was a chance of rain every day that week ended up with none for almost three weeks but other areas around me received some good rains frustrating. Now I have a nice plot of ragweed ,buttonweed, foxtail ,
and wintergreens

I have been on the east coast for week (my dad passed) and it is drenched over here.. I mow alot of lawns around Ottumwa and it is still not greening! Those radars are not always accurate looks like not much more that .5 around and south of Ottumwa..

Less than 1/4" for the whole weekend, less than 1.5" since late June. No moisture in at least top 18" of ground.

Glad to see I have some company. Not much hope for the future either,,with all these crazy tropical storms, that hinder moisture flow up here. Looks like a fall with no food plots, and crops picked,,deer will be eating Golden Rod.

Top Bottom