Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Who says there aren't any pheasants around?

A red winged black bird. Doesn't get much easier to see it from the picture. 100% not a bird of prey, dead give away is the non curvature of the beak as well as the small size. I'm no birder however I am able to see things right in front of my face.

You think it is a flock of red wing blackbirds?

Last edited:
dljpd3.jpg

2qi6agh.jpg

Black circled bird is the female. As you can tell from the picture, I'm fairly confident that is most definitely the female with the dead give away of the speckling on her breast as shown in the picture. As well as the small, pointy beak.

Red circled bird is the male. As you can tell by the mostly solid and much darker body along with his beak being much more darker as well. Only reason your having a difficult time fathoming the "red wing" part is simply because EVERY bird is in flight or having their wings positioned to the sky so your not simply able to see the wing coloring.

2qi6agh.jpg

Black circled bird is the female. As you can tell from the picture, I'm fairly confident that is most definitely the female with the dead give away of the speckling on her breast as shown in the picture. As well as the small, pointy beak.

Red circled bird is the male. As you can tell by the mostly solid and much darker body along with his beak being much more darker as well. Only reason your having a difficult time fathoming the "red wing" part is simply because EVERY bird is in flight or having their wings positioned to the sky so your not simply able to see the wing coloring.

My bird guide book must be wrong then, it says red wing black birds migrate to Mexico in November. I've never seen one in the midwest later than early December??

It's no big deal really....

Last edited:
I'll blame my crappy 40 something eyes, but I don't see it either. Mainly because some of them sure look about the same size as the pheasants. Maybe it's just the pic angle and lighting...

NWBuck

The big flock looks like Starlings to me...

I believe this is your winner...they sure aren't hawks that is for certain. With their wings spread out, they sure look like they could be a size of a hen pheasant but look at the actual body size. Starlings has my vote also

I would say they look like starlings the most to me. Definitely do not look like red wings blackbirds to me.

Top Bottom