Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whoa. This is insane (from the stand)

I have the same situation, wish I had a picture. Neighbors hung a stand 3 yards from the fence facing my property, did not remove any branches towards their property at all, just strictly facing an open area on my side from my TSI that I was hoping would become a bedding area. What do you do?

Are they bowhunting (so have actually hunted this stand)? Or possibly going to come back and cut shooting lanes for gun seasons? Did they actually cut shooting lanes to your side, or just put the stand where there are no limbs blocking your side? Guess you could screen the area with something (hybrid willows, brush, etc.) Hidden trail cams to watch your side?

Last edited:
Build the fence up to keep deer from wanting to cross there or be a dick like me and put a piece of scrap 4 x 8 plywood up right in the middle of the crossing. Some people simply don't play by common sense rules and you will have to let them know "indirectly" that what they are doing is frowned upon, this is assuming you have asked them nicely to reposition there stand beforehand....

I guess each situation would be different with the conversations between the two landowners being the main driver. But it sounds like most people are saying that no one should hunt within X yards of a property line, neither landowner. This really hits home for me (was going to start a new thread asking for advice) as I'm on the frowned upon side of the fence right now and am sick to my stomach about the relationship its started with my new neighbors

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

Fence sitters can make or break a property. I am not saying I have never sat near a property line, because I have. It's just when the ladder stand is 3 feet from the line and I have all the timber and shooting lanes, well you kinda wonder if an arrow doesn't cross over the line??

Yeah, crazy how many people sit on property lines anymore...and its even more crazy how many arrows I find on my property that arent mine.. hmmm

Build the fence up to keep deer from wanting to cross there or be a dick like me and put a piece of scrap 4 x 8 plywood up right in the middle of the crossing. Some people simply don't play by common sense rules and you will have to let them know "indirectly" that what they are doing is frowned upon, this is assuming you have asked them nicely to reposition there stand beforehand....

Or, at the top of every hour, drive around your property in your SUV within bow range of their stand and empty your shotgun at nothing from sunrise to sunset. That happened

I guess I don't see the big deal if the stand is on property they have permission to hunt. I have a couple stands facing a neighboring property (filled this years tag in one of them) and when I look across the fence there's a couple facing my way. Deer use fencelines to move from here to there so a stand facing a fence line isn't uncommon. Would you rather have the stand facing the other way and have them hunting with the wind in their face and their backs to your property? Sounds like that would do more damage to your hunting than them facing it. Odds are the bucks you're trying to keep safe spend a fair amount of time on the neighboring property anyway. I would also bet their are a lot of people on here that have stands within shooting distance of a neighboring property. In the end I guess you have to decide if the relationship with your neighbor is more important than a stinking deer. Sadly now a days for most people it's not.

You can be only civil with your neighbor. They confronted me about having a stand too close and I urged that if they saw a 200" walking my side of the line that they better take the shot (if shot is ethical). Deer don't know the boundaries and stand location isn't going to solve anything

I should have also added that I would have no issues with them placing a stand on a tree that is directly in the fence row as long as they face the tree stand towards their property and make an effort to clear shooting lanes on their property. The main problem is that I wish it was the landowner, it's not, it's any one of a group of 7 that are leasing.

Are they bowhunting (so have actually hunted this stand)? Or possibly going to come back and cut shooting lanes for gun seasons? Did they actually cut shooting lanes to your side, or just put the stand where there are no limbs blocking your side? Guess you could screen the area with something (hybrid willows, brush, etc.) Hidden trail cams to watch your side?
. I'll have to take a picture, they did not cut anything on my side just trimmed the branches to get the stand up, if they are bow hunting it would be impossible to shoot a deer on their side unless they shoot the deer as it is about to jump onto my side. Again, I'm not saying the deer are mine, I'm just upset that they are intentionally setup to shoot deer on my property while taking zero effort to be able to shoot something on their side.

I'm with Bowtech on this one. Fence rows, lines, etc are very good travel corridors and good stand sites. If the stand is on the right side of the fence I don't see the issue. How far does one push this topic in that what distance is appropriate? Fifty feet, one hundred feet? I have to admit I have two stands about fifteen yards inside my neighbor's fence and they are great spots. I will say they are set to shoot only when the deer jump the fence onto my side. In fact, can't shoot until they commit to my side due to tree limbs and setup. All in all not much can be done if the stand is off your property.

I completely agree with everything you're saying, my only issue is that they are not able to shoot deer on their property. It is strictly setup to shoot deer on my side, which is illegal, if they don't have permission.

I have a stand within about 10 yards of my property line. I have lanes cut on my side and lanes cut so that if they cross the fence I have a shot. I don't have any lanes to the neighbors property.

Just a short distance down the property line somebody has a ladder stand set up right on the line. In fact the tree it is in is rooted on my side of the fence. I have never seen anyone hunting it but I haven't seen any obvious lanes cut on my property so I really don't have a problem with it.

Top Bottom