Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

who's going to eat their deer

B

Bowbendr

Hey guys and gals,

If you harvest a deer this year are you going to be nervous about eating the meat? It's starting to make me wonder what is safe and what is not.

I wouldn't shoot one if I wasn't going to eat it.
I'm not worried about CWD. But, if you do see a limping, sick, skinny, head-hanging deer go past your stand, grab your cell phone and call your C.O. They'll come out and shoot it if they want it removed.

Absolutely! I look forward to the bounty of the harvest.

I'm a little concerned the panic might cause wanton waste or processing prices to shoot sky high.

I have already been biten a few times by mosquitoes setting some stands.

I'll take my chances also with CWD. Better to go to the happy hunting ground enjoying myself than at real work.........
grin.gif

I'll eat my venison with all the gustatory pleasure of a kid eat'n candy. In fact, I've got four pounds of jerky in the dehydrator as I type.

Can anyone reccomend a good wine with a roasted loin? The jerky is easy, it'll be the wine that comes in silver cans produced in Colorado. But a loin is way different. I assume a red wine is right for meat such as this but I don't think a white zin that the wife likes is the way to go. Suggestions welcome.

The 'Bonker

If I didn't plan to eat the deer that I harvested then I would not shoot one of them, I would just take photo's of them. How ever, I do plan to eat my venison, and I will cook it until it is completely done, I am not at all worried about CWD. I have given up hunting many species over the years due to getting older and for other various reasons: squirrels to hard to skin, geese to hard to pluck, turtles to hard to clean, pheasants to much walking, I don't believe in harvesting anything that I don't eat, but I still like to eat them if someone else does the hard part. Now having said that, I will not give up coyote hunting, and NO I don't eat them.

I spent 2 hours Wednesday night at a meeting with one of Minnesota's top researchers. He reinforced my feelings about CWD. The hype our media is pushing is absolutely without fact. The headlines are driven more by making money than being informative. There's no proven link between CWD and CJD (the human disease similar). The occurrence of CJD in Colorado and Wyoming is actually lower than the National average.

If anyone is considering not eating venison, I recommend you first stop driving your car, never leave your basement when rain is forecast and for God's sake never get near a mosquito.

Think of the alternative, you could eat pork and beef which have much higher amount of fat and cholesterol. Now you've just increased your risk of heart disease.

It's all a matter of risk management, don't stop living just to stay alive.

You could die from e.coli or hepatitis from your next fast-food hamburger that you have on the way home from your hunting spot. You're odds of falling out of your tree stand and becoming paralyzed for life are greater than that of contracting CWD.

Am I concerned about it? Sure. But I'm more worried about the environmetal damage that the pesticides they are spraying to help stop West Nile than I am about contracting CWD or West Nile.

There are no known cases of people becoming infected from eating meat tainted with CWD. As long as you bone out the meat and avoid eating the brains, lymph nodes, and spinal fluids, you should be okay!

Well, if anyone wasn't going to eat the meat, and they were only shooting for the rack, then it's back to the same as buying antlers.

Top Bottom