Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why cant i sight in my bow!!!!

H

HoytApples

What's the easiest way to sight in my bow....?????i cant seem to shoot and accurate group and consistant groups of arrows??? I"m gonna flip out if i don't get to hunt this year with my bow..!!!. if anyone can help..thanks

You have to remeber, shooting a bow isn't like shooting a gun. It takes practice, practice, practice. And if you think you've practiced enough, you better do some more!
Sighting in a bow, doesn't come right away. you have to learn simple mechanics to shooting. And work on it over and over, until you develope good habits in shooting.
If you bow isn't even sighted in, you should think about not hunting this year. Like i said, its not like shooting a gun, were you can be close to the kill zone to take a deer. But with abow, you need to be dead on!
Plus it's safe to wait until next year, will you'll feel very safe and confident in your shooting, because if you go out there, miss or wound a deer, you'll just do more harm than good. And it will decrease your chance for next year!\
So, take your bow to a sporitng good's store, shoot it in there, and let some one watch you. They can give you pointers at what your doing wrong, and how you can correct it!
Good luck,
Jason

Whenver my shooting is less than I'd like, I go back to 2 basics: 1) Am I holding my bow arm rock steady through the shot? and 2) Am I anchoring in exactly the same spot and holding my head steady? If these 2 things are good your groups should be respectable.

Also...don't shoot huge bunches of arrows at one time. As your arms get tired (sometimes you won't even really notice it)shooting form suffers. For me about 15-20 arrows per session is enough. Good luck!

I think Jason summed it up pretty well, if seasons been open for 2 days and you havent even sighted your bow in you should consider not going this year.

Another thing that will cause poor groups is not following through with the shot, thats when you drop your arm right away to see where the arrow hits.Try to hold the pin on the target till you hear the arrow hit.I just mention this cause it seems like every year I have to retrain myself not to do it.This takes time and thats why I start shooting again early in the year, just a few arrows everynight all spring and summer will do amazing things for your form and confidence.

All great tips.

You really need to go to an indoor range with controlled conditions (no wind). Shoot at a very close target..ten yards or less. When you can group there, move to 15 and so on.

There's still a good month before the hunting really gets good. Just spend time at the range and out of the woods. If you can consistently group at short distances, you might consider hunting but be sure not to shoot past that distance.

I really agree with not shooting for very long. Shoot a dozen arrows, then take a break for an hour or so, then maybe go back and shoot a dozen more. Shoot 2-3 times a day if you can (before work, over lunch, or after work, then just before dusk, etc. Its really hard to group when you get tired.

Also, develop a little routine to get you through the shot. I mentally whisper to myself, "draw, pick a point, release, follow through" when I'm not shooting well. Then, when you get an arrow that hits exactly where you are aiming, immediately try to imprint everything you did on that shot into your memory and repeat it.

I'm not planning on hunting deer even though i posted this in the whitetail thread i want to hunt turky. I'll take ur guys advice thanks..

first of all your probaly shootting a pse bow, thats the first problem maybe your arrows are not staright , to solve this problem, go by beamen 500 carbons and a hoyt magna tec, and never have a problem ever again

I agree with most of the comments mentioned earlier, but the first thing you must do is make sure you are aware which one of your eyes are the dominant one. Either shoot with both eyes open while looking down the string with your dominant eye or use your passive eye and close your dominat eye. In the long run you will be more accurate shooting both eyes open.

Top Bottom