Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why do you shoot the bird you do?

Why do you shoot the bird you do?

• A bird is a bird

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Full fan

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Beard lenght

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Multiple beards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bearded hen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spur lenght

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • The enjoyment and thrill of the hunt

Votes: 48 57.1%
  • Just looking

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
  • Deleted by N/A
To me, all birds look about the same (Toms or even ducks, pheasants, etc), unlike bucks. And most look delicious, if it's a Tom with a nice beard and it's a close, ethical shot, I'll take him. I don't really turkey hunt, I only shoot them in the fall outta my treestand. I do choose to pass up hens and jakes though for so the hens can produce more chicks and the jakes can get older.

Trying to move on from jake killing status.... :D But still love mash'n those heads! :grin:

2 year old or older, jakes get the pass. If more than one come in I will try to pick out better bird if possible

How bout you Cooter, how do you decide what bird to shoot, do you shoot the 1st bird that comes in? What makes your hunt enjoyable and thrilling?

I usually choose to put an arrow in the tom thats doing the most damage to my old mounted full strut decoy.

As long as it isn't a jake I am shooting with the bow. It doesn't take much to talk to me into shooting one though!! :) I love shooting the ones that come in on a string ready to kick some BASS!!!

I went with enjoyment of the hunt.

I have yet to shoot a jake but last I would have opening morning just because it would have given me my first double.

But given the right circumstances I would shoot all of the above. I would list a bunch of stuff that would bring me to shoot but some times it is just living in the moment.

Depends on my mood that day. Like to wait for a bearded bird but sometimes the arrow has to fly.

Been longbeards for along time now but bar none the jake is the best eatin. I may have to change that soon.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom