Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why I don't like late doe season

cornfield

Not trying to start anything controversial, but here is a good example of what is common during the late doe season. I realize that most everyone on this site does their best to differentiate between does and shed bucks if they are hunting in the late antlerless season, but there are a lot that don't. This was a mature buck that had shed out by Dec. 16. Be careful out there guys and gals when you start to drag that big boy out. I think this cold hard weather came a little to quick after the rut this year and may have caught a few run down bucks off guard. Remember to use those binos before you fill those doe tags. Good luck.
3329shed_buck_copy.jpg

That is too bad, I'm glad the seaosn ends here in early Dec, that'd be too common. I'm sure it'll be common place there this yr with your snow and cold.

I really think that a buck losing it's horns this early probably won't make it thru the winter anyway. If it does make it, it would more than likely not have any growth for the next year. Just my opinion. But I'm sure their will be some slob hunters out there shooting anything.

Unless I'm missing something, this buck was shot during 2nd shotgun season...not late doe season. Better eliminate that season as well
confused.gif

Point being...we can get so wrapped up in worrying about what someone else might shoot that we end up eliminating opportunities to do what we all love so much. I, for one, enjoy the heck out of late muzzleloader season...whether I'm hunting with an any sex tag or, more commonly, an antlerless tag. This year, I'm fortunate enough to have a late January antlerless tag as well, and am looking forward to another weekend or two out in the woods. I work really hard not to shoot button or shed bucks, but at some point it WILL happen. If not to me, then someone else. It's part of the game...during the regular gun seasons as well as later on. I'd hate to think we'd eliminate this great opportunity to enjoy the outdoors because some in our own camp are worried about an extra buck or two (shed or button) being shot. Just my 2 cents worth.

NWBuck

Most guys I know wont even go out for that late doe season just because they cant shoot a buck. I wouldnt worry about it to much.

NWBuck...The buck was hit by a car. I still have 2 archery doe tags and a late muzzleloader tag left too. The pic is just an example of the fact that mature and otherwise healthy bucks can shed their antlers before Feb. or March. I never said a word about eliminating any season. I just said I don't like the late doe season with the wonderful new rifle season we are having in January.
frown.gif
We could always just move that rifle season up to your neck of the woods instead.
shocked.gif

Impact from the crash may have popped the headgear! Witnessed one just like it on I-380 about 5 years ago.

Wasn't the case pharmer. I did however witness one get hit and the rack popped off a few years ago. A buddy now uses them for his rattling antlers.

Silvertip,

Move your habitat and deer population along with it and I'd make that deal in a heartbeat
grin.gif

NWBuck

You could just move down here and witness the fact that there is not so much of a deer population problem. More of a revenue problem for the state that is being satisfied by seasons that are not needed using weapons that will eventually find there way into other seasons. The doe seasons are an important tool in the management of the herd but would be much better suited earlier in the year when more people would be willing to hunt and the opportunity for harvesting a shed buck would be greatly diminished. Good luck in the late season.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The doe seasons are an important tool in the management of the herd but would be much better suited earlier in the year when more people would be willing to hunt and the opportunity for harvesting a shed buck would be greatly diminished. Good luck in the late season.
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a shotgun doe season the first two weeks of November perhaps
confused.gif
confused.gif

Being a diehard bowhunter, I really think we're in the same camp Silvertip, but clearly the antlerless seasons do less "damage" to our bowhunting seasons where they are now than any other reasonable alternative. They help to manage the doe herd, provide additional recreational opportunities for some of us, and maybe the price we pay is a small percentage of "accidental" buck harvests while keeping the gun seasons out of early November.

OK...I promise I'm done with this topic. Best of luck to you in the late seasons as well.

NWBuck

Same thing happening here. My buddy filled two doe tags and both were buck that shed already. There were three more at the butcher shop when he dropped his off
frown.gif

Actually nwbuck I have enjoyed being able to discuss this topic with you. I know we both want what is best for us as sportsmen as a whole. I am about as die hard a bowhunter as anyone and no, I am not for another nov. doe season. I have however suggested that IF it is imperetive that we have doe seasons, that the doe season be in Sept. when the does are all over the fields every evening. The weather at that time of the year lends itself to many more folks both young and old being able to get out too. With that being said, I am actually not in support of any additional seasons period. The deer are now getting hammered for nearly 5 months out of the year. How much more "quality time" do we need? I consider my time in the field quality time, when I am hunting or fishing as well as just a walk in the woods. Having something to shoot at doesn't make it a quality experience. I think the dnr could do us all a favor and reduce the cost of doe tags for the seasons we already have instead of these knee jerk reaction seasons we have now. No season will please everyone and I didn't post this in an attempt to change the world. Just an example of what can happen.

On a side note, I am scared as heck at what the future holds for us. Two bad things happened this year for us. The intro of gun season in Nov. and the addition of rifles to the deer season. I am hoping things don't snowball, but I am not gonna hold my breath.

Okay, I am done too. Whew!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a shotgun doe season the first two weeks of November perhaps
confused.gif
confused.gif

Being a diehard bowhunter, I really think we're in the same camp Silvertip, but clearly the antlerless seasons do less "damage" to our bowhunting seasons where they are now than any other reasonable alternative. They help to manage the doe herd, provide additional recreational opportunities for some of us, and maybe the price we pay is a small percentage of "accidental" buck harvests while keeping the gun seasons out of early November.

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom